1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a good DVD Player that plays region 2 (PAL included) for under $150!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenneth Cummings, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

I getting about $165 esimated for my birthday, but I been wanting to get some good shows from region 2, but a can't find any links for a good player. Also on a side note, how much is a pound worth in Britian? I look at Amazon.com.uk and see stuff like Training Day (already own) for 11 pound and it just doesn't make sense.

2. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

One British pound is approximately $1.52 US dollars, but it changes from day to day. Recently the US dollar has fallen against most major currencies about 7 or 8%.

3. Kenneth Cummings

Okay, now I can under stand what Amazon.uk is saying but just timing it by 1.5 to the amount. Even so the Amazon.uk has multiregion players, all of them list "Only ships in England and Ireland", which is annoying. I would love to find a good thread about DVD Players for region 2 pal support, but none appear to be around. Maybe it off to the archives.

4. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

5. Kenneth Cummings

Link doesn't work, Eujin. It says the site is under construction.

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

7. Kenneth Cummings

Well I found one at Target for $89, which is a Daewoo 4000S and I have checked it for codes to get it region free and it seems easy enough. I will pick it up in two weeks, but I jsut wondering if it PAL compatiable as well? And don't tell me to get a Malita either, no way I am going to get the money for that.

8. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

Kenneth,

The Daewoo does do PAL; however, my understanding is that it does not fully render anamorphic PAL video correctly. Images will appear slightly horizontally squeezed.

Thanks for the Target heads-up. I've been looking for a Daewoo for a while, but eBay or Sam's Club seemed like the only choices, and I'm leery of the former (and the latter has no branches in my state). I think I'll swing by Target tonight and see if they have one ...

9. Kenneth Cummings

w00t, now to get it in two weeks, order CSI from Amazon.uk, and relex to my birthday. Disprite CSI not having widescreen or the orignal boardcast soundtrack, it one of my favorite show, and since it will be a LONG time until a regional dvd release, I will enjoy this until then.

10. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

Hey Kenneth,

Looked into it a bit more, and I think that the Daewoo 5800 is a superior player to the 4000, from what I can tell. If you or a friend/family member belong to Sam's Club, you can get it from there for $89. Plus, there's a lot more of them out there, so you'll probably get better support for it.

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The 5800 and the 4000 do essentially the same thing - they just remove lines of resolution (every 4th, I think). This results in a very jagged image that is distorted (vertically squished).

-Dave

12. Tulli

Tulli Stunt Coordinator

DVD Players with the Mediamatics chip (Malata, JVC, some Apex like the APEX-800) do a proper PAL/NTSC conversion that preserves the original PAL aspect ratio.

JVCs have to be chip modified to be region-free. The Malata is the best but you'll need around $300. The Apex can be found for less than $100 but I don't know how reliable is.

13. Kenneth Cummings

I should be okay in anamophic widescreen with it, as I planning on buying mostily television box sets, and the only with a widescreen transfer is Angel season 2 (pity on first season, but oh well).

By the way, did my guess come out right and CSI is about 40-45 dollars in American dollar after rounding out the British pound 50 added amount?

14. Isaac K

Isaac K Stunt Coordinator

Kenneth: As of today, take the the price in pounds and multiply it by 1.54 to get an approximate US price.

15. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

Dave F -

I wasn't referring to the NTSC/PAL conversion (which, you're right, is identical), but my impression is that the 5800 is likely to be a more robust, longer lived player.

Does anyone know for sure one way or the other?

16. Kenneth Cummings

Dang, the price for the first season of Angel at Amazon.co.uk is $100 dollars! Maybe I better look elsewhere to get this set.

17. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Ahh, gotcha. Dunno about the longevity of the 4000, but my 5700 has seen a lot of action in its short life (and it's doing fine!). [​IMG]
    Kenneth, keep an eye on eBay. Sometimes you can get decent deals on used and new sets (I picked up Buffy 1-3 used on eBay). Also, you can score a bargain by shopping at Australian R4 stores. Same discs as R2 (usually), but with different packaging, and much lower prices.
    A good currency converter -> http://www.xe.net/ucc/
    -Dave

18. Kenneth Cummings

Yeah, but I think I just wait until they get release. Because after much deciding, I will simply get a new player, but for region 1 only. But I will continue to montior region 2 and beyond for later on. Who knows, once I get a job, I will look at this thread and go out and buy the Malita and enjoy the best of Britcom. But for now, this thread is done. But you can still use it for search on other region free player or this very one mention eariler.