What's new

Looking for a good cheaper model Panasonic DVD player for interlaced TV.. (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The player could be progressive, but its not essential as the person it is intended for is not going to have a progressive display in the near future. Any suggestions and why?

:)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic has so many lower end models and the all-in-one chipsets that its confusing. I guess for an interlaced 27" TV you can't really go too wrong?

For example. Panasonic has the S25 and the S35. The S25 is $100.00 CAD and the S35 is going for about $150.00 CAD. Any reason I won't be ok with the S25? Major differences? The person its being bought for is no audio-video phile but good quality video is still important.

thanx in advance for any info

:)

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Check out the JVC XV-N40BK or XV-N44SL, they have $20 rebate offers now so the price should be under $60.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I havent seen JVC offer any of their rebates up here north of the 49th...

Steve*W

Agent
It is a good unit, the 35. The difference between the 25 and the 35 are that the 25 doesn't have an S-Video, or optical output. It's also exclusive to Futureshop, from what I hear.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I would take a look at either the Sony DVP425 or 725, they are both great players, offer really good performance, and most of all they even play everytime of recorded DVD I have thrown at them. Good luck with your decision.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I bought the Panasonic S35 from Circuit City. Since my audio system doesn't have optical audio (coax digital only), I'm up the creek since this player only has optical. Yeah, I know. I should have checked first. The S25 on the other hand has coax out. Circuit City sells that one now ($79 this week).

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the s85, a very nice 5 disc changer with dvd-audio capability and nice sound a pic quality. I love the thing.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
You can get digital audio converters (optical to coax or vice-versa) at Best Buy and other stores.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Tried the S35 and its fine. Using composite cable with a 27" interlaced and its fine. I'll find some good RCA's for component though since I can at least do that.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I specifically asked Best Buy about one and they said they didn't have anything. I asked Circuit City as well with no luck. I found something Radio Shack appears to carry, and planned to buy it. But at this point, I'm thinking $15 for a converter, plus at least (an obscene) $20 for a 3-foot TOSLINK Digital optical cable That's $35 of investment when one can get a LiteOn player that plays everything for $100 ($70 more). The converter also needs AC power, and adds to the general cable clutter.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
All receivers I've seen have more optical digital audio inputs than coax, maybe you should get a newer receiver first.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The JVC XV-N40BK and the XV-N50BK have the same video circuitry. The 50 is a smaller height cabinet has a fancier front panel display, universal remote, and supports WMA audio in addition to MPG and JPG. The 40 does not support WMA, but does handle MP3 and JPG. If you don't care about the extra features of the 50, save the money with the 40.

Neal Doyle

Auditioning
Don-
It sounds like the JVC XV-N40BK will be perfect for me. I already own a universal remote and don't plan to use WMA. The extra money will go towards some nicer interconnects.

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks