looking for a good cd/sacd/dvd-a player. don't care about video quality.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jody_R, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Jody_R

Jody_R Auditioning

I just pulled the trigger on Paradigm reference studio 40s and hopefully a pioneer 1014 receiver as well if another buyer drops out. I just heard my first SACD while auditioning speakers and have decided that i'd like to take the plunge and build a nice library of hi-res music.

I would like any player I buy to be strong with all audio formats.. SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, redbook. It has to provide good bass management, preferably on a per speaker basis.

Oh and I'm new to the whole sacd thing... Is there no way to make use of the room-eq from the receiver when playing sacd sources? If not on the pioneer 1014, is there a receiver that CAN apply room correction to sacd sources? That's a feature I would pay for. Sorry, I'm not too clear on this point.

Getting back to the players.. I really don't care to spend extra money on fancy video processing, since I run my video from an HTPC that provides better processing for DVDs than I'd find in almost any dvd-player regardless of price.

As for my budget... less is better, but I don't have a fixed number in mind. I don't really want to spend more than a few hundred on a player though. Again, i care much more about the audio quality than the video. thanks.

2. Scott Lawrence

Scott Lawrence Stunt Coordinator

To be able to do EQing on an SACD/DVD-A, you'll have to step up to either:

1) A Denon SACD/DVD-A player that features the "Denon Link" feature, AND a Denon Receiver that features the "Denon Link" feature. This is Denon's proprietary connection for sending SACD/DVD-A digitally to the receiver. Make sure the reciever also features room-EQing (but I'd imagine any with Denon Link would)

OR

2) Any non-Denon brand of SACD/DVD-A player that features an iLink (firewire) connector, AND any non-Denon brand of receiver that features an iLink connector. This is the non-Denon-proprietary solution for sending SACD/DVD-A to the receiver digitally. Make sure the receiver also features EQ but again I'd imagine any with iLink would.

This is all going to be a pretty big step up from a Pio 1014 and another decent universal player like the Yamaha DVDC750 or Pioneer 563/578/588, none of which feature any iLink/DenonLink features.

Cheers,
    Scott.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I would think the 1014 can EQ the analog inputs, or does it not? If so it should be fine since for most players (excpet the ones described above) require an analog 6ch connection (using the 6CH input on your receiver) for high res audio playback.

4. Scott Lawrence

Scott Lawrence Stunt Coordinator

The stereo analog inputs--yes. The 6-channel analog input--no. In "mutli-channel in" mode, the receiver does not further process the signal except to amplify it, and there for it does not apply the EQ settings to it. If you try to turn the EQ on it just flashes the "Muli-Ch In" on the receiver's LCD at you to remind you you can't. The assumption is that you're using some external decoder that is doing all your bass management, EQing, etc., and that you are using the 1014 simply as a multi-channel amplifier; I imagine this is probably true for most receivers.

5. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Yamaha C750 seems to be the hot one right now.

6. Jody_R

Jody_R Auditioning

thanks for making that clear, scott. Although from what I've read recently, it's a bit of a joke that existing denon products with denon link are still not approved for sacd, just new products, which aren't available yet. I'd be pretty pissed if i payed extra for the feature.

The c750 seems like a great value, if only it didn't cross-over at 120hz... That's a problem for me since the sub will be placed behind the listening position and there's no way for me to place it in front. Oh, the joys of living in a downtown apartment... I guess I'm gonna have to pay the extra for a denon 2900 or something. I figure this player will be in my system for a while and I really don't want to compromise on SQ...

7. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

For what it's worth, the Denon 2910 just recieved rave reviews from the perfect vision mag this month where they stated that only high end players at 3k and above will best it. That's what the review said.

8. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    Well, I'd suggest you head on over to AVS Forum for some real-world information on the 2910. You can also check out the full evaluation of this player at the Secrets website. The 2910 is pretty far down on the list. I'd say that the Perfect Vision review is, um, a bit over the top. Only players $3K and above will best it?!? Oh sure. [​IMG]

Jody - Your problem is that you'll *have* to pay for fancy video processing, because there are no really good universal players on the market that don't have it. Here's a short list of players with very good analog audio for Redbook/SACD/DVD-A and/or HDCD that you may want to consider:

Pioneer DV-59AVi
    Denon DVD-5900
    Denon DVD-3910
    Denon DVD-2900

9. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I just jumped over to the secrets website you refer to and quickly realised why I don't frequent that site. I just picked two reviews for two different types of equipment and without even reading each review entirely I found glaring errors in each. IMHO when a non-expert, like myself, can spot errors in an article that relate to tech specs of the equipment and lack of understanding about connections on the equipment I tend to not trust what they have to say about the stuff.

10. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Good things have been said about the Onkyo 802 and the Integra 8.5 audio-wise.

11. dpippel

Doug

Really Dean? Forgive me for being skeptical. Secrets is considered to be THE AUTHORITY on measurable DVD player performance by most of the online HT community and has been for quite some time. Their benchmark tests set the standard. Two of their editors (Kris Deering and Stacey Spears) frequently contribute here at HTF, at AVS Forum, and at several other HT-related forums. In other words, these guys are the real deal.

If you have indeed found "glaring errors" I'd suggest you PM either or both of these two gentlemen and take it up with them.

12. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I should clarify that the 2910 was rated high up there for great audio for a good price (not for good video and audio) and could be compared to some 3k units in those terms according to that mag. I through it out there since Jody stated that he didn't want to spend a lot of cash for video performance but simply wanted good sound. According to the Secrets site, however, I guess the following is an issue: "Denon did not support its Denon Link or Firewire outputs on this player, which is unfortunate. I would have liked to have seen at least one supported since the HDMI output is not the new generation that supports DVD-A."

13. dpippel

Doug
    Yes, if sending SACD/DVD-A over a digital connection is of big importance then the 2910 has a strike against it in that department.

I'll admit that I really didn't let Jody's budget considerations sink in before I posted my list of suggestions players either. Finding a quality player that meets his criteria for less than $300-$400 is going to be very tough.

14. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Doug,

I'll go and read some mor reviews but I find I'm very sceptical of reviewers who supposedly have this equipment on hand to review not knowing big details like:

Integra DPC 8.5 is a 6 disc changer not a 5-disc as mentioned in the review. I stopped reading when I saw this.

The Directv HR10-250 (HDTivo) can be run in 2 tuner mode with a coax splitter if you have enough power...when the fact is that you can't "tap" or "split" the coax like the reviewer says and have consistent results (see other parts of the review were he claims the dual tuner function didn't work well and then blames it on the firmware). It's a very confusing review and he never once mentions the word "multiswitch". He did hit the nail on the head with his comments about the program guide.

15. dpippel

Doug
    Um, are we looking at the same page Dean? Unless I'm missing something there is absolutely no mention of how many discs the Integra DPC-8.5 handles in the Secrets review:

Secrets review of the Integra DPC-8.5

16. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Dont worry about it,the 802 and 8.5 are not that hot for the price.

17. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Doug,

Look at the sidebar near the top of the review.

18. dpippel

Doug
    Follow the link in my post and tell me where you see it Dean.

19. Jody_R

Jody_R Auditioning

I've think i've decided on the Pioneer elite 47Ai. From what I've read of the denon, it doesn't like a lot of DVD-R media and that's a problem for me. I know I said I don't care about video performance, but i do care a little bit. It would be nice to be able to watch movies when I'm doing stuff to the HTPC.

Anyway, I'm going with the 47Ai since it's the only player in my price range that doesn't seem to do anything wrong and it has iLink.

As a side-note, I think it's a joke that the high end denon stuff with the Faroudja chips are exhibiting problems. Don't they QA? They shoulda stuck with the SI chip.

20. Gabriela Mendez

Gabriela Mendez Stunt Coordinator

Get a Denon 2200.