Looking for a good $600 HT reciever to match AXIOM M3TI's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shane Wooten, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Shane Wooten

Shane Wooten Extra

Hello All

I'm just looking for a good macthing reciver for these sweet little speakers. Somthing 50/50 music/HT.

I have been thinking about the Denon 2802, what do you think?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank in advance,
    Shane

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Shane,

Have you considered the Sony STR-DA4ES? One "authorized" vendor has been selling it for about $619 - shipped. The 4ES would would blow the 2802 away in terms of power and features.

What about sonics? The STR-DA4ES would easily stand up to the Denon 2802 in this regard. I'm speaking from personal experience.

3. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

I was patiently waiting for the 2803's to come out, so the price on the 2802 would go even lower. Last I checked, they were around $500 at Authorized Dealers. While waiting, decided to go for the H/K 520, for $515 w/shipping from OneCall (authorized). It is 10lbs heaver than the 2802. Mine is close to arival, so can't comment on it yet, but plenty of info can be found here. If one of your main criteria, is the amp in the receiver, it is worth you taking a look at. Can be found at most CCs, such that you could do a test drive. (not that you can do a valid test at their stores) Also, there have been hints of a possible Forum special. Who knows, the price might be as low as $400, or better.

JohnS

4. Shane Wooten

Shane Wooten Extra

Thanks I will check out the Sony at one of the local stores in the area. See what I think. Hmm I think I will break down and listen to the HK real quick too. I've heard too many horror stories about them breaking. It makes me a little worried. How does the Sony sound compared to the Denon?

Anyone else know what would be a good reciver??

Thanks again everyone
    Shane