Looking for a good 32" < $1000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregory E, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

I was hoping for some input on a few different 32" televisions. I'm basically looking for a 32" set that has a 16:9 mode or anamorphic squeeze. Of course the Sony Wega comes to mind. I've also seen a HD ready Samsung for around $999, but I don't know how good Samsung TVs are. Are there any others that I might want to look at? Any brands or models that I wanna stay away from??? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

I've been shopping around for same...

The 16:9 enhanced isn't found on too many analog sets that I've found. Not having that isn't a deal-breaker for me, but it would be nice to have. I do want a flat tube, however.

I've looked seriously at the Wega, and at Panasonic and Toshiba sets in the same range. PQ on all seem about the same, though I haven't been able to study the 16:9 enhanced.

I've decided to go with the Wega, since I found a price considerably lower than Best Buy / Circuit City through a locally owned dealer. The only thing that concerns me is service. I've heard that one really must know these sets to work on them, and finding a qualified service person in my area may be difficult.

Most of the other sets I looked at had some blooming on highlights... of course it's really hard to judge in a store, where all the sets are so badly calibrated.

You get what you pay for. I am skeptical about a digital set of that Samsung size for under $1000...

I have owned Sony and Panasonic tvs in the past and been happy. I've heard good things about Toshiba.

-Scott

3. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

I would, without question, go for the Samsung HD set over a Sony or Panasonic analog. I owned a Samsung analog and had no problems with it at all, a lot of other people have had the same experiences.

If you are really dead set against the Samsung there is a Hitachi 32" HD ready that goes for around $999 but it doesn't have a flat screen, only has one component input and, from what I've read, doesn't do the squeeze in the right way.

4. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

Thanks. It's funny how everyone has a different opinion about what brands are good and what brands aren't.
    It may just come down to what TV I can get the best deal on.