What's new

Looking for a garage door opener - recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just installed a new Genie 1/2hp screw drive opener, purchased at Home Depot for $155, over the holidays. They had a more expensive model with some sort of "ultra screw drive" mechanism that opens the door twice as fast, but I opted for the less expensive model. The chain drive model was only about $20 cheaper than the screw drive model I purchased. FYI, the comparable Sears Craftsman model was $159, so they are not less expensive than a Genie.

The unit replaced the original Genie screw drive opener, which was 26 years old (installed when the house was built, if the specs on the house from when we bought it are correct). The screw drive mechanism still worked, but something failed in the motor.

FYI, there was a chain drive opener in our previous home. The screw drives are definitely quieter, and if this one lasts 26 years like the last Genie, I will be happy.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm running on a now 11 year old Genie 1/2hp from Home Depot, screw drive. Thing is still running strong as if it was installed last week. I lube the screw about twice a year and that's all the maintainance it's ever required.
On a side note. I have a two car sectional roll up. Couple of weeks ago I replaced all the black plastic rollers with the nylon rollers I bought at Home Depot. The nylon rollers also have ball bearings inside. The door itself is 95% quieter now. A huge upgrade and worthy investment of $40.
Peace Out~:D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ron,

Were you able to replace the plastic rollers without taking the door off its tracks? I have a two-car sectional roll-up, too, I would consider this if it can be done without disassembling to door.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yes, it is very easy and takes less then a half hour. No need to mess with the door itself at all. All you need to do is remove each hinge (one at a time) that is between the sections, insert the new roller into the track then insert the roller shaft into the hinge and then remount the hinge onto the door section.
Do the upper 8 with the door closed. The bottom two hinges have the hoist cable attached and must be done with the door open. When the door is open the lift cable does not have any tension and you are able to lift the end of the door up slightly allowing for the removal/remount of the hinge.
Be sure the hoist cable does not unspool itself when you lift the door. It shouldn't, but if it does get someone to lift the door while you re-seat the cable.
Also, when reattaching the hinges, be sure not to over tighten them.
It's very east to do, inexpensive and makes a huge difference.
My brothers door had metal rollers on metal tracks. He said it was almost impossible to be in the garage when the door was in motion. He replaced his right after I told him and is extremely happy with the results.
Peace Out~:D

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I like the belt drive openers, my last house had a Sears Belt drive installed by me and it worked great and was very quiet. Our new house has the standard chain drive and they are noisy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks