Looking for a frequency response program for my laptop...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim A. Banville, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

I have a Compaq 1200US Presario laptop. I beleive sound and video are "on the board", so it doesn't ave any fancy sound or video cards. It does have mic and headhone jacks. Does a program exist that has test tones that could be output via the headphone jack of the laptop, to a L/R analog input on my receiver, which outputs the test tones through my main speakers, and which is picked up by a microphone attached to the mic input on the laptop and it turned into a nice frequency response graph on my laptop's display?

thanks

Jim

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

free, shareware, or pay? you do realize the microphone is a POS, yes?

3. RichardJS

RichardJS Extra

4. Jim A. Banville

5. brucek

brucek Second Unit

Jim,

6. Jim A. Banville

7. brucek

brucek Second Unit

Jim,

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I like brucek's choice...others in no particular order of favoritism are:
    http://www.trueaudio.com/ several versions ranging from free to pay. some discussions on methodology.
    http://www.siasoft.com/products/demos.shtml 30 day trial
    http://www.gbcasa.org/Notices/N2002-2-5.html gives a brief discussion at an audio meet for winmls2000...it can be downloaded at http://www.nvo.com/winmls/nss-folder/winmls2000/
    many microphones, and i'm sure the one in your notebook as well as the ones that are commonly sold at CompUSA and the like, are terribly non-linear. I'd imagine that you could probably take a stab at examining its non-linearity, by feeding it a white noise, and placing the microphone close to the speaker, and observing the resultant graph. there are microphones out there with relatively linear frequency response +/- 1db over the audio range for under 50. i don't know if the software provides the means for kludging the signal in...that's for you to find out.
    have fun

9. Jim A. Banville

10. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

EFT doesn't just do frequency response. It also time gates the signals so you can better isolate initial and late responses. You can even do impulse response. Basically, using ETF just for frequency response is way underutilizing the program. Yes, you can hand push a car back and forth to the grocery store, and that would indeed let you pick up groceries, but that isn't quite all the car can do. But, I do agree, it isn't a low cost package. I'd only recommend it if one was really serious about analyzing the sound in a room.

11. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

I am another very satisfied user of ETF5. In fact I've been using this acoustic measurement system for the last 3 years and originally bought it as ETF version 4.
    I actually bought the parts and built a calibrated mic and mic-preamp for