looking for a dvd that may not exist - help!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by andrew markworthy, Apr 21, 2006.

1. andrew markworthy

Any of you who have the Digital Video Essentials disc will know that there is a demonstration film on it that gives brief shots of different scenes designed to show off the wonders of your system after you've properly calibrated it. There are similar discs done for showing off TVs in in-store displays. So here's the sumb question - are there any discs available to buy that are purely composed of such scenes? I've never seen them, but equally, I don't have a clue where to start looking.

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I've seen quite a few of these discs but I don't know where you would buy one. They're usually given to retailers by the regional hardware distributors. My favourite home theatre store had a pile of them just lying around: you might try asking your local retailer if they have one they could give you, or if they could order one in for you (they get them for free).

JVC's first DVD player demo disc released in 1998 was one of my favourites; some really nice sequences.

Adam

3. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

The best disc of this type I've ever seen was a laserdisc made by Sony for use by Audio/Video stores for showing off Sony TVs (this was back in '95). At the Good Guys where I worked, we ran this LD on a Sony 32" XBR^2 (that's "squared"). In my opinion, that was one of the finest 4:3 tube sets ever made, and the demo LD looked great on it.

-Lyle J.P.

4. andrew markworthy

Thanks for the input guys.

Adam, alas I'm in the UK - our retailers aren't um, quite the same as in the USA. There are honourable exceptions, but in the main, audio-visual shops in the UK are staffed either by:

(1) the hard of thinking who are employed on the conditions that they know ****-all about any product in the store when they are first employed and they will learn nothing about any product in the store for the duration of their employment.

(2) sarcastic snobs who open a store selling high-end equipment so that they can entertain a small coterie of cronies who are always hanging around the place and sneer at anyone paying under a telephone number sized figure for an item.

Chances of getting any sort of disc out of these guys is about as high as getting a drink out of a Vogon.

5. Ira Siegel

Ira Siegel Stunt Coordinator

Andrew, you write, "Adam, alas I'm in the UK - our retailers aren't um, quite the same as in the USA."
    Adam had written, "JVC's first DVD player demo disc released in 1998 was one of my favourites." Based on that accent, I'd say Adam is from New Zealand, not USA.

6. andrew markworthy

Oops ...

Okay, edit my previous message and add 'or New Zealand' after 'USA'. [​IMG]