1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a DVD recorder???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ToddBP, Oct 26, 2001.

1. ToddBP

ToddBP Auditioning

Does anyone know who if any company is making a quality DVD recorder? By quality, I mean one that will play in my other DVD player and I can edit on my PC.
    Thanks in advance,

2. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

That depends upon the "quailty" of your other DVD player. By "quality" I mean if it has the capability to read DVD-R or DVD-RAM discs.

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Here's the scoop:
    1. Panasonic's DMR-E20 records DVD-R & DVD-RAM. The former will play on most DVD players, but the latter only in PC DVD-RAM drives & DVD-RAM capable players like the RP91. You can edit on a PC w/DVD-RAM
    2. Pioneer's DVR-7000 is a pricey DVD-R & DVD-RW recording unit. You can edit DVD-RW. DVD-R & DVD-RW discs recorded in 'Video Mode' will play on most DVD players
    3. Philips' DVDR1000 & DVDR1500 are DVD+RW units (different from DVD-RW). Discs don't need to be finalized, you can edit anytime & play on most DVD players. Seems to be the most versatile all-in-one solution, but the +RW format is not sanctioned by the DVD Forum
    It's anyone's guess as to which format or formats will win.

4. ToddBP

ToddBP Auditioning

Thanks a lot,
    I also did some research and looked at the Philips DVD Recorders. They're giving away a free DVD recorder here.
    http://www.dvdrecorder.philips.com
    The DVD+RW format seems to be the most compatible format and it says that they use an I-link(firewire) connection.
    Works for me.
    Todd