Looking for a DVD Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin C., Jan 6, 2005.

1. Kevin C.

Kevin C. Auditioning

I am new to ht and have been reading here a lot, and received some good ideas. I need to upgrade my DVD player. It will be used strictly for watching movies. Is their a player that will give high quality video in the 100-150 dollar range. I was interested in the Toshiba 3960 but after reading some of the reviews it does not seem as good as when it was tested on secrets. I do not need a player that plays dvd-a or sacd.

What should I look for?
    I have a pan. 43lc14 tv which has hdmi hookups, is it better to use that then my receiver will the pic. be better, is this something I need now?

Thanks for you help

KC

2. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Kevin, check out my review of the Sony DVP-NS875V DVD player I posted today. Its a great progressive scan 5 disc carousel player. It does have its drawbacks, but for $129.99, I dont think you can really go wrong.

Its been my observation that in order to use an HDMI port, you need to get a higher end player unless you are willing to pay for the cheaper upscaling players, all of which have serious side effects and quality control concerns. I would say, unless you are expected to put some money into your system, stick with component inputs.

3. Kevin C.

Kevin C. Auditioning

Thank you for the info. I will look into that, I am kind of looking for a single disk, only reason being I have a cd changer and for room in my cabinet the single disk fits much better. Thank you and I will lean towards the component.

Is it better to use the component with the 5 wires for sound as well or get a digital audio cable?

KC

4. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I prefer to use a digital coax or optical cable to let my receiver handle the decoding. I can't really give you any technical reasons why, but I just like doing it that way.

One other benefit is using the single digital cable means theres 5 less wires running from your DVD player to your receiver...unless you want it for SACD support, which in that case, you dont have a choice in the matter cause then you need to use the 5.1 output.