looking for a dvd player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Thomass, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Mike Thomass

Mike Thomass Stunt Coordinator

hi all
    im looking to pick up a nice dvd player
    i dont have any requirements
    just want to hear suggestions from you all
    maybe you could let me know certain features i should be sure to get, maybe brands to concentrate on or avoid,things about yours you dont or do like
    thanks in advance

[​IMG]

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I have had my Panasonic DVD player for about a year and a half and I really love it. Prior to this one, I had a 1st generation Panasonic player and it is still going strong after 3 years of heavy use. My newer player has all the features I need as well as a 1x zoom and an external subwoofer out connection and a 2 position Bass emphasis circuit . I recently purchased an inexpensive subwoofer and it is rated at only half of the channel wattage put out by my Sherwood RD6108 A/V receiver. I hooked it up to my DVD player's subwoofer out and the output on the first setting of the Bass enhancement is very good. On the second setting I find I have to turn the subwoofer volume down to just less than half or the signal is too strong. I would not hesitate to get another Panasonic DVD player. Check out the players from Panasonic, they are of excellent quality and the prices are great. I paid $180.00 for it new. It also has component, S-Video and composite outputs but lacks progressive scan. This isn't too much of a problem since I don't have an HDTV. Hope this helps.

3. Mike-Back

Mike-Back Auditioning

At this point I would go with one of the following players:

Pioneer 563A - This is the low price universal player that plays SACD, DVD-A, DVD-V, MP3, CD-R, DVD-R, etc. It goes for around $180 and it has been getting good reviews.

If you have a bit more money go for

Yamaha S2300 has gotten good reviews and it is also a universal player.

If the SACD support isn't a big issue for you, the Denon 1600 is highly rated.

4. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Sony 9000ES. Built like a tank ~35lbs. 12-bit, 54MHz DACs. Superb sound and video quality. SACD-compatible, but not multichannel SACD. About $1800 retail.

5. Mike Thomass

ok thanks all for the replies so far
    i dont know what features i need or want, i was hoping you professionals here could say something like , make sure you get blah blah and blah
    know what i mean?

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Mike,

What kind of a system are you putting this into? A 65" HDTV with 7.1 surround sound separates, or a 20" Color RCA for your kid's room? What is your price rnage? It makes a whole lot of difference...

7. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

You should be a pal and buy the Yamaha DV-S5660 so you can tell me your thoughts on it before I buy it. LoL... Just playing. I'm trying to learn about DVD Players myself.

8. Mike Thomass

What kind of a system are you putting this into? A 65" HDTV with 7.1 surround sound separates, or a 20" Color RCA for your kid's room? What is your price rnage? It makes a whole lot of difference...
    ------
    hi
    it will be hooked up to a 65swx20b, future will bring a receiver and surround speakers
    price is not my main concern, im looking to find out what are the most essential features of a dvd player
    i will decide later how much i will spend
    [​IMG]

9. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’ll start Mike. Don’t take this to be an inclusive list. Also what is important to some is not necessarily important to everyone (or to you).

First you want a progressive scan player, especially if you acquire (or might acquire in the future) an HD display.

Make sure that your player does not have the ‘chroma bug’.

Multiple outputs are desirable. Try to get a player with both an optical output and a digital coaxial output for 5.1 audio. I don’t think that it is important to have analog 5.1 outputs, but some do.

Having a region-free DVD player allows a great deal of flexibility in buying DVDs.

So do is a DVD player that converts PAL to NTSC (assuming that you live in the U. S.—I make that assumption because most non-Americans have much better punctuation and capitalization than I’ve noticed in your posts. [​IMG])

If you are a fan of multi-channel music, a universal DVD player is a must.

Some people place a high premium on a changer that holds and plays in order multiple DVDs (I care nothing about this myself—but it is a requirement for a lot of people).

It is possible to get into more esoteric requirements, such as a particular chip in a player.

No player with which I am familiar has all of the above features. For the most part you have to decide what is most important to you and pick one with those features.

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

One more feature which some people love (I am indifferent) is a scaling feature.

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Out of all the stuff listed above, I agree that the #1 feature you MUST have is progressive scan. Some models that generally very well thought of at their price points:

* Panasonic RP-82 (discontinued, good luck finding one)

* Panasonic RP-91 (very good stretching modes)

* Denon 1600 (very similar to RP-82 above, but a bit more $)

Those would be some good models to start with.