1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a DVD changer with good resume

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian/L/D, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Brian/L/D

Brian/L/D Auditioning

I'm looking for a 5 disc DVD changer with a good resume function. What I mean by good is one that can at least resume the 5 discs currently in the player. I purchased the Philips DVD-793CH which Best Buy advertises as having 5 disc resume http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...at=32&scat=244 but discovered that it only has 1 disc resume. While you can actually remove the disc from the system and it will still resume, once you start another disc the resume is lost. I've also tried the Kenwood DV-605 but it doesn't seem to have a resume function at all (nore does it seem to have a standby mode).
    One last constraint, the player must work with DVD-Rs. So far, by trying out various systems at the local Best Buy and Circuit City, I've yet to find a Sony model that works with my DVD-Rs (though just about everything else does).
    Any suggestions?

2. JohnGoggan

JohnGoggan Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone confirm/deny this on the DVD793CH player? Not only does Best Buy advertise it as "5 disc resume" -- but so does everyone else -- include J&R and, more importantly, Philips on their web site! Everyone clearly states that this player "allows viewers to pick-up where they left off on their 5 most recently viewed DVD titles."

So -- did Brian just have a faulty player? Or is the advertising everywhere incorrect? I'm about to buy this player actually, and want to know that it really does support 5-disc resume -- not 1-disc...

- John...

3. JohnGoggan

Also, while I'm asking... I've been told that this player does not have FF and RW functions on the remote -- only Next Chapter and Previous Chapter. Is that really accurate? I find it hard to believe that they would not have easy FF/RW controls on a remote...

Thanks.

- John...

4. Tom Vet

Tom Vet Stunt Coordinator

If your looking for all that you better buy a Sony CX-875, it has forward or rewind at 48 or 24 frames per second AKA 24p or 48p. Resume all 300 discs if filled. I take video captures using the 24p I can freeze a double frame together and get lots of how did you do that's?
    Learning is the 3 p method, practice, practice practice or till you have it in your mind and can do it easily, as a walk in the park. [​IMG]

5. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're talking about, but the Panasonic CP72 will let you memorize one position for each of the five discs at the same time. Touch a button, and switch to another disc, or shut the machine off, and when you go back to the first disc or any other disc you memorized, you can resume where you left off. Definitely comes in handy, if you remember to do it.

6. JohnGoggan

Well, the guy that original asked about it hasn't been back since he signed up and asked that question half a year ago...

I simply want to know if the Philips DVD-793CH has 5-disc resume as advertised everywhere -- or if it really only does 1-disc resume memory as the original guy suggested.

And I just want to know if the remote for it has FF/RW on it or not -- since someone suggested off-site that it doesn't in a review I read -- although that seems quite odd/surprising to me.

I really don't need one that has a 300-disc resume or a magical FF/RW option. :) I just want to know if this one does what it advertises (5 discs) and has ANY FF/RW on the remote...

- John...

7. AllenLC

AllenLC Agent

I have the Onkyo DV-SP800. Love it!

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I first thought you were looking for a DVD changer with a good employment record and excellent references. [​IMG]

9. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Some Sony models have bookmarks thats what I use.

10. JohnGoggan

It seems that everyone is missing the point that the guy that actually asked the first question is long gone -- and that all I want to know is about that specific player's resume feature (on the DVD793CH). :)

- John...