What's new

Looking for a Component Video Switcher (1 Viewer)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I agree completely with Robert's results. On the 400Q no degradation of any signal at all. Pain in the ass having to get up and press buttons..but efficient and cheap!
------------------
"Hey mr. taliban, tally up me bombers...
Daylight come, we blow up your home"

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I now have two devices which use component outputs and have only one component input, does anyone know of a switcher or something that can be used to fix this problem.

Thanks,

Matt

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
They do, someone will jump in and put in the link or search the archives. Be prepared to pay some bucks, there are no SIMA or Recton or Sony 59 solutions, you're going to be looking at a couple of hundred bucks. I'm going to wait until a new receiver is in order (I wait 5 years between gear, mine just turned 3) and use it to switch.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
There have been quite a few posts about using the Radio Shack push button av switch box. Cheap and from what has been said, it works very well.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

Tulli

Stunt Coordinator
No, It doesn't convert, being just an AV Selector. I think the JVC higher models do it (JX-S555 and JX-S777) also available at ETRONICS.COM.

Tulli

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry. I forgot the second part of your question. I has one component and one S-VHS output OUT (3 component and 2 S-VHS IN).

WilliamZ

Agent
My JVC 32D502 TV has only one set of component inputs which I use for my Panasonic DVD player.

I just bought a Microsoft XBOX which I'm routing via S-Video through my Denon 2801 receiver. (receiver only has a butt load of s-video connections)

Is there any sort of switch box that I could use to route both my DVD player and XBOX straight to my tv via component inputs? If so, would the switch box cause any video signal degradation

David J Wang

Agent
Check this thread out. Might help in your decision.
Component Video Switch Thread
Also, since that thread talks about the Radio Shack Stereo A/V Selector, there is a version of the RS AV Selector Model #15-1997 that allows a remote to be used. Was wondering if the 15-1997 would degrade signal quality because of a remote being used or is it exactly the same as 15-1978 or 15-1976.

David J Wang

Agent
There is a version of the RS AV Selector Model #15-1997 that allows a remote to be used. Was wondering if the 15-1997 would degrade signal quality because of a remote being used or is it exactly the same as 15-1978 or 15-1976.
Here's a link to their product page.
Radio Shack Switch Products

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Some of us are using the standard A/V switchers that are normally used for composite (red/white/yellow) inputs. Mine is from Sony, has 3 in 1 out, and ran me $13.00.

If I have this down correctly, (and someone pleassseee let me know if I am wrong), the Sony switch, and others, are using a passive switching method. What you don't want is an 'active' one (like with an A/V receiver) for componet inputs.

I contact Radio Shack about their new $150. 15-1987 model, and they say that it is all passive. I could go nuts with that one!

Glenn

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
Matt,
Back during the summer I was considering buying an iScan, so I started looking for a component video switcher. From what I remember, the JVC switcher doesn't have the bandwidth to handle HD. The boxes that could were very expensive, with some coming in at about $400. I then got on Ebay and found an Extron with about a 300mhz bandwidth, which I got for $23 with shipping. It only has BNC plugs, but you can buy BNC-to-RCA adapters. I've not actually tried it, but from everything I was told at the time it should work. You may want to give Ebay a look.
P.S.--they also have a Bose sub for $200! :)

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
I got an Extron switcher with a bandwidth of either 250 or 300 mhz for $23 shipped on Ebay. It is of the RBGH variety mentioned above, and only has BNC connections. I haven't tried it yet, but for $23 it was worth a shot.

GregAH

Auditioning
Can someone help with a different switching scenario. I have a HD ready tv for daily viewing and a front projection for HT. Right now I have digital cable, progressive DVD, and S-VHS signals to deal with. Will this allow me to switch from TV to FPTV?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks