Looking for a Component Video Switcher

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rein, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    As the topic states, I'm looking for a nice Component Video Switcher. I currently have a Sony KP61HS10 HDRPTV that I need to feed into Video 5 my Sony 9000ES Progressive Scan player, RCA DTC100 HD Satellite Receiver, Playstation 2, and X-Box (planning ahead!). Are there any decent switchers out there? I could always put my PS2 on Video 4 (but I'd lose 16x9 mode), but I'll still need something to at least accommodate 4 component signals. Fortunately, my Yamaha receiver has enough digital inputs to accommodate all my audio signals. I just need something for the video! You'd figure Sony would have made a component switcher for its HD sets that have 1 HD input! Oh well. I appreciate the help!
    Chris

2. Chris Rein

Anyone?

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Hey, I'm looking for one too. If I go cheap, relatively, I'm considering the Key Digital KD-SW2x1 which I saw in Home Theater mag, Oct, page 42. The good news is that it's "only" $449. The bad news is it has only two sets in and one set out, ugh! Why not 3 or 4 in? Two in would be a band-aid for me. Then there's what I really want, the Extron SW6. It has six in, one out, I think it lists for about $900, ugh, again! This has got to be the most under-marketed product going!!!! Surely more models are coming soon? I hope so! I just know if I buy the Extron, a far more reasonably priced unit will appear about two weeks later. For the time being I'm plugging and unplugging, ugh! Best wishes!
    www.extron.com
    www.keydigital.com
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

4. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I am looking as well...and had posted this very question in 2 forums here. Wish I was handier with a soldering gun!!!!
    ------------------
    "The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
    David Manning-Critic
    Scooter-Palooza 2..Be There or Be Square!
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/.../030866.html#5

5. Howard_A

Howard_A Stunt Coordinator

Is there some reason why you can't use any switch that has three RCA inputs? So what if they are labeled Left Right and Video you can use them for component video, right? I think Radio Shack even sells one with a remote control.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

You can't use the audio switch parts for high bandwidth digital video. Heck, even the composite video switch part may not work.
    Try finding a 5.1 channel audio switch! [​IMG] That's what I'm after!
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

7. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Try
    http://www.markertek.com
    Do a product search for "OMX-9000"
    It's a studio quality 3 into 1 component video switcher for $585
    [Edited last by ThomasW on October 05, 2001 at 11:54 PM]

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Thanks for the link Thomas! They don't show the front or give many details. Does it have manual switching or signal activated switching? Do you know more? Thanks again!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Philip - When you mention passing signal bandwidth, isn't this part of an 'active switch' - like with an A/V receiver? An ordinary, and cheap passave switchbox would literally have wires connecting various lugs on the switches, for a direct connection, which would make it 'passave.' Thus any signal would freely pass between the 'ins' and 'outs' on them. Or have I missed something?
    Glenn

10. Kevin Peak

Kevin Peak Agent

Kev
    Why are the aforementioned solutions so pricey? Does it really take $550 to allow w components to plug into one connection? sheesh. I would LOVE to find one that is more reasonably priced. With all these gaming consoles coming out, surely someone has realized the need for an inexpensive switcher...
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    kevp

11. Chris Rein

Yeah, there's gotta be a decent switcher (more than 2 inputs to 1 output) available. I'll keep my eye on this one. Thanks to those who have contributed this far. I am interested if that composite/audio switcher works or not.
    Thanks!
    Chris

12. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If you can get that USD $40. audio/video switcher with return privileges, and you ahve the Video Essentials or Avia test disk, do this:
    Connect just your Y video cable from the DVD player to the TV using the video jack, the left audio jack, and the right audio jack in turn. For each connection, play the resolution test pattern (big circle in the middle with four little circles at the corners on the VE disk) and see if you get as good resolution as connecting directly to the TV. Actually the two audio channels only need to deliver 300 lines of resolution to pass this test for non-HDTV because chroma on a DVD has half the resolution as the luminance.
    Next connect all three component cables (use the yellow channel for the Y cable) and play the chroma delay test. On VE this is the yellow screen with the vertical red line. The red line should not be off to one side with a black gap on one side and a smear with the yellow on the other, any more than connecting directly without the switch box.
    Play several of the other tests including the resolution test with all three cables connected to verify that there is no dot crawl or graininess or other problems that can be caused by "crosstalk" or leakage between channels.
    The test may pass for regular DVD and fail for progressive scan. If all three channels max out the resolution pattern using progressive scan and the switch box does not introduce more chroma delay, you will still get a very good 1080i HDTV picture.
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on October 07, 2001 at 06:53 AM]

13. Chris Rein

Allan,
    Thank you for the tip! I'm going to give it a shot. I wandered into my local Circuit City (been to everywhere else, so thought I'd try there) and found an auto switcher from Sony. It is for composite, so if it works for component, and it auto switches...SWEET! It holds 4 inputs and 1 output. Auto Switch. All that for $70. Beats $300 for 2 inputs! I'll give it a try this weekend. If it works, this might be the po' mans alternative!
    Thanks!
    Chris

14. Kevin Peak

Kevin Peak Agent

Kev
    If someone does do this, please post your conclusions, it would really make my day if this radio shack switcher could work... I would appreciate it greatly...
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    kevp

15. DanP

DanP Agent

From my experience the manual (pushbutton) a/v selectors (composite vid, L+R audio) work fine for passing through component signals. Even High Definition of which I have 3 STB's. The ones that dont seem to be able to pass the signals through without degradation are the sort that have any electrical/remote control type switching. Those create interference and dont pass through properly.
    Cant hurt to try though. But as I said, I use a Radio Shack pushbutton model and it works fine.
    ------------------

16. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

Here's a question:
    I see used Extron RGBS switchers on eBay cheap, all the time. Can these be used for component switching if you just hook up the RGB connectors -- and disregard the sync connections? I know RGBS isn't component, but I thought the switchers might be "ignorant" of the signal it's really passing.
    Just a thought. . . any answers? Thanks in advance.

17. Bob Lewis

Bob Lewis Auditioning

Confirming some of the other posts, I bought just last week a cheap ($15) Radio Shack 4 input, 1 output, push-button composite video switcher and it works perfectly for the 4 progressive dvd players hooked into it via component connection. Obviously, you have to re-label the connectors for correct connections, but it works just fine. Of course, it is a manual switcher so I have to get up off my lazy butt to push the button to make a switch but we all have our crosses to bear. As to why I need 4 dvd players hooked up to my system... Because I can? Because I have been possessed by the Home Theater Demon? Some, on this board, will surely understand.

18. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Ditto the R.S. switcher....hooked it up yesterday and it works fine with 3 components here. Subsequent to buying that one..I saw a similar one at Wal-Mart for a few bucks less.
    For the record, I am switching between a DISH HD reciever, Unity Motion HD OTA/Sat. reciever and the component output of my RCA DVD player.
    ------------------
    "The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
    David Manning-Critic

19. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

RGB switchers will work just as well for component video. Leave the fourth (and/or fifth) jacks for the sync. vacant.
    For progressive scan you still have to be aware of bandwidth issues, the switcher might only handle broadcast RGB which is 480i. Conduct the test I mentioned above on this thread.

20. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    After reading this thread and some side bar discussion among my fellow administrators, I decided to try a cheaper alternative than buying an Extron to achieve component switching without any degradation of the digital signal.
    The equipment involved was the following:[*]Sony 53XBR-300 (Scheduled this week for replacement by 65XBR2)[*]Sony HD-100 Satellite Receiver[*]Sony-9000 Progressive Scan DVD Player[*]Panasonic-RP91 Progressive Scan DVD Player[*]Better Cables Silver Serpent Component Cables
    I then went down to my local Radio Shack and bought a 4-In-1 A/V Selector with S-Video Conversion. The unit features the following:[*]Four Audio/Video Inputs[*]One Audio/Video Output[*]Built-in Composite/S-VHS Composite Circuit[*]Easy Push-Button Selector Switch
    The following is how I hooked up Silver Serpent Component cables from the component outputs of both progressive dvd players to the A/V Selector Inputs:[*]Y-Output to Yellow Jack for Video Input[*]Pb-Output to White Jack for Audio Input[*]Pr-Output to Red Jack for Audio Input
    I then used Silver Serpent Component Cables from A/V Selector Ouputs to the monitor component inputs:[*]Yellow Jack for Video Ouput to Y-Input[*]White Jack for Audio Output to Pb-Input[*]Red Jack for Audio Output to Pr-Input
    After a couple of hours of playing different dvds and then switching back and forth hooking up the dvd players directly into the monitor, I couldn't see any visible degradation of the 480p digital signal. I then hooked up the HD-100 receiver utilizing the same type of connections and cables as well as hooking the HD receiver directly into the monitor and still no visible degradation of the 1080i digital signal was observed by me. Over the next several days, I will continue to play around with this but for now, it looks like a very successful experiment. I will report back any digital degradation if it happens but so far, so good!
    The unit is called Stereo Audio/Video Selector and it sells for $39.99 at Radio Shack. So far, it's a real cheap alternative to the Extron component switcher.
    Crawdaddy
    ------------------
    Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"