Looking for a component rack. $800 Max.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Perry Jonkheer, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Hello,

I've been scouring my area for a nice component rack to hold 3 or 4 items. I would like it to be no more than $800 and space is an issue. Looking for something that is low profile and sleek, also with cable management if possible but not necessary.

I checked out boltz.com because i have a TV stand from there, but $500 for that stand is just too much. I'd buy it for $400.

Does anyone have a good suggestion on what I should buy, and where to get it? I'll be happy to buy it online with a good recommendation.

Thank You.

2. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

for $800 or less, you will have a lot of selection at racksandstands.com or bigbangelectronics.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Give This a look. Not bad for the price.

5. Logan G

Logan G Agent

6. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Audio Advisor has a very nice selection of equipment racks. I purchased a Target rack from them several years ago that is still in my system.

Audio racks

8. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I like the Sanus Euro racks, also at Audio Advisor. You can add shelves later as your system grows.

Doug

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have been very pleased with the Archetype model of Salamander. I like the simplicity of this open design. It gives my components a lot of breathing room.

10. Roy Van Nostrand

Roy Van Nostrand Stunt Coordinator

Roy Van Nostrand
    Bell'O® makes some nice ones. I've had an 880 in good service for years ...looks like it's obsolete now. Audio-Max Ltd has some good prices, although I've never dealt with them.

11. Todd Durham

Todd Durham Agent

Check out Audio Advisor and look at the Salamander racks. They are beautiful and are solidly built. Should be within your budget.

12. Dan Schulze

Dan Schulze Stunt Coordinator

I second Doug's suggestion - Sanus Euro collection also available from ElectroShops.com

I recently upgraded from Standesign Standesign

My Home Theater web page has pictures My Home Theater

Enjoy the hunt!!

Dan

13. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

14. Perry Jonkheer

Thanks for all the replies everyone...you have been a huge help.

15. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

I have a VTI and 2 Plateau racks...both brands have been great. Got all 3 from racksandstands.com, in the $300 range.

16. Perry Jonkheer

How is the build quality of VTI??? It seems like just about everything uses some sort of fake wood...

Thanks.

17. STLMIKE

The VTI is a gorgeous rack, but it's not w/o its issues and it's not for everybody.

The shelf surfaces are a very strong fiberboard w/almost an enameled glaze on them. The shelf frames I assume are aluminum. If I remember right, the max weight is 350 lbs. Here's the link to VTI's assortment at racksandstands.com:

The model I bought is the BL304, w/3 posts -- HOWEVER, I bought the wrong one -- I had intended on buying the BL404 that has 4 posts and I clicked the wrong item w/o realizing it. It was too expensive to ship back under the circumstances, so I kept it. They're essentially the same rack, just 4 legs instead of 3, and they look the same from the front. I didn't run into this problem, even w/a 200 disc CD changer and a 7 disc DVD changer, but on mine the center placement of the back post could impede connection cables. I lucked out that it didn't, but I wish I'd bought the 4 post design all the same.

There are 2 things that particularly drew me to this rack:

1.) There is no assembly of the rack itself, as it's a stackable modular design.

2.) The look. Each shelf frame has a spike cap on each post that fits into the frame below it. Each shelf basically appears to float above the shelf below.

However, there are its negatives too:

1.) Not having to assemble the rack is tempered w/a more difficult installation process for the components. Components have to be loaded from the bottom up and one at a time. (i.e. I have my receiver on the bottom and had to connect all cables to the receiver first. My CD Changes is above that, and then I had to connect it. DVD Changer is above that, had to connect it, etc.)

2.) If you're prone to switching out equipment all the time, I'd DEFINITELY recommend something else, because you can't move the rack AT ALL once it's assembled. It is possible you'd have to break the rack down to switch out the components.

3.) I also would not recommend if it is in a high traffic area. The rack is very sturdy, but as the shelves are not locked/bolted together, if you've got a kid or a dog that runs past it 10 times a day, or if you're clumsy :) -- there is a slight chance it could get knocked over.

4.) There is also no cable management. If the rack is viewed from the front, it looks fine. However, if it's viewed from the side, you can see all the cables.

Again, it's definitely not the most convenient rack, but I think it's one of the best looking. It was the first rack I bought, and if I had it to do over again, I'd probably go w/another Plateau like this:

http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/sh...T0018&catid=36

Put casters on the bottom and it's SO much more functional and it still looks great.

Have fun shopping -- Mike

18. Minesh Patel

Minesh Patel Stunt Coordinator

I'll second the VTI selection. I just received the BL503 from racks & stacks, and the rack is gorgeous. It takes longer to remove all the packaging from the rack than it does to stack it together, but it is very sturdy. I have a Sherbourn 7/2100 on the bottom (~110 lbs) & an Anthem AVM 20 on the second shelf (~35 lbs) and it barely flexes. I'm using the top shelf as a center speaker stand for my Axiom VP150 (17 lbs).

Cables are visible from the back, but I don't think I'd ever be able to get all those interconnects & cables fished through the cable guides on other racks I've seen, anyway.

Swapping out components should'nt be any harder with this rack as any other, but you might need a helper to hold the equipment from the front while you push from the back.

19. Perry Jonkheer

Nice writeups guys...

Much appreciated.

I just purchased the VTI BL404 from racksandstands.com. I got black shelves, black poles and silver caps. I'll be stacking a Denon 3803, Denon 2900, HD Cable Box and a PRISMIQ Media Center. Hopefully this baby will be holding separates sometime in the future!!

20. STLMIKE

That's my color scheme as well. The silver caps/hardware really look great.

It'll take a while to set up, but should be well worth it.

Mike