What's new

Looking for a component rack. $800 Max. (1 Viewer)

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Hello,

I've been scouring my area for a nice component rack to hold 3 or 4 items. I would like it to be no more than $800 and space is an issue. Looking for something that is low profile and sleek, also with cable management if possible but not necessary.

I checked out boltz.com because i have a TV stand from there, but $500 for that stand is just too much. I'd buy it for $400.

Does anyone have a good suggestion on what I should buy, and where to get it? I'll be happy to buy it online with a good recommendation.

Thank You.

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
for $800 or less, you will have a lot of selection at racksandstands.com or bigbangelectronics.

Logan G

Agent
I purchased this rack http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=SO0003&catid=50[/url] for $300 at Racks and Stands. Very nice build, it comes in multiple sizes.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have been very pleased with the Archetype model of Salamander. I like the simplicity of this open design. It gives my components a lot of breathing room.

Todd Durham

Agent
Check out Audio Advisor and look at the Salamander racks. They are beautiful and are solidly built. Should be within your budget.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I have a VTI and 2 Plateau racks...both brands have been great. Got all 3 from racksandstands.com in the $300 range.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
The VTI is a gorgeous rack, but it's not w/o its issues and it's not for everybody.

The shelf surfaces are a very strong fiberboard w/almost an enameled glaze on them. The shelf frames I assume are aluminum. If I remember right, the max weight is 350 lbs. Here's the link to VTI's assortment at racksandstands.com:

The model I bought is the BL304, w/3 posts -- HOWEVER, I bought the wrong one -- I had intended on buying the BL404 that has 4 posts and I clicked the wrong item w/o realizing it. It was too expensive to ship back under the circumstances, so I kept it. They're essentially the same rack, just 4 legs instead of 3, and they look the same from the front. I didn't run into this problem, even w/a 200 disc CD changer and a 7 disc DVD changer, but on mine the center placement of the back post could impede connection cables. I lucked out that it didn't, but I wish I'd bought the 4 post design all the same.

There are 2 things that particularly drew me to this rack:

1.) There is no assembly of the rack itself, as it's a stackable modular design.

2.) The look. Each shelf frame has a spike cap on each post that fits into the frame below it. Each shelf basically appears to float above the shelf below.

However, there are its negatives too:

1.) Not having to assemble the rack is tempered w/a more difficult installation process for the components. Components have to be loaded from the bottom up and one at a time. (i.e. I have my receiver on the bottom and had to connect all cables to the receiver first. My CD Changes is above that, and then I had to connect it. DVD Changer is above that, had to connect it, etc.)

2.) If you're prone to switching out equipment all the time, I'd DEFINITELY recommend something else, because you can't move the rack AT ALL once it's assembled. It is possible you'd have to break the rack down to switch out the components.

3.) I also would not recommend if it is in a high traffic area. The rack is very sturdy, but as the shelves are not locked/bolted together, if you've got a kid or a dog that runs past it 10 times a day, or if you're clumsy :) -- there is a slight chance it could get knocked over.

4.) There is also no cable management. If the rack is viewed from the front, it looks fine. However, if it's viewed from the side, you can see all the cables.

Again, it's definitely not the most convenient rack, but I think it's one of the best looking. It was the first rack I bought, and if I had it to do over again, I'd probably go w/another Plateau like this:

http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/sh...T0018&catid=36

Put casters on the bottom and it's SO much more functional and it still looks great.

Have fun shopping -- Mike

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second the VTI selection. I just received the BL503 from racks & stacks, and the rack is gorgeous. It takes longer to remove all the packaging from the rack than it does to stack it together, but it is very sturdy. I have a Sherbourn 7/2100 on the bottom (~110 lbs) & an Anthem AVM 20 on the second shelf (~35 lbs) and it barely flexes. I'm using the top shelf as a center speaker stand for my Axiom VP150 (17 lbs).

Cables are visible from the back, but I don't think I'd ever be able to get all those interconnects & cables fished through the cable guides on other racks I've seen, anyway.

Swapping out components should'nt be any harder with this rack as any other, but you might need a helper to hold the equipment from the front while you push from the back.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Nice writeups guys...

Much appreciated.

I just purchased the VTI BL404 from racksandstands.com. I got black shelves, black poles and silver caps. I'll be stacking a Denon 3803, Denon 2900, HD Cable Box and a PRISMIQ Media Center. Hopefully this baby will be holding separates sometime in the future!!

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
That's my color scheme as well. The silver caps/hardware really look great.

It'll take a while to set up, but should be well worth it.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.