Looking for a cheap..

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by HowardPM, Feb 21, 2006.

1. HowardPM

HowardPM Agent

Howard
    home theater in a box (one for my bedroom) its about 15x13. I'd like to spend under 100 bucks and I really don't care about the wattage. If it has a DVD player built in thats a plus.

So far the best deal I've found is this at CC.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...Review.do#tabs

Nexxtech Home Theater System (DR30G0)

NXX DR30G0
    • 5.1-channel surround sound
    • 150 watts peak power

• Dolby® Digital
    • Multi-format playback

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Howard, even for a bedroom system, a hundred clams is hardly going to get you anything worth listening to.

3. HowardPM

HowardPM Agent

Howard
    I got a nice system in my living room I was more of just looking for some sort of surround system for the bedroom cause the TV speakers bite.

4. Mark^G

Mark^G Auditioning

$100 for a small surround system setup... i think going with a 5.1 computer speaker system would be the better sounding option.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd look for a cheap used stereo receiver and a half decent pair of speakers. That might push you to $150-200, but it will sound a lot better than any HTiB you're going to get for the price.

6. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Hi Howard,

I agree with John, a decent stereo in a smallish room can sound pretty good, much better IMO than those cheapo HTIB, if you don't believe me, next time you hear one on demo, try and crank it up loud and see/hear for yourself.

Happy hunting.
    DavidSGT

7. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

When I was 16 I bought My Klipsch RF3II's..And I still live at home now, in a bedroom. I have never looked back, and am allways upgrading.

I agree. They sound like crap. However,I did hear the $6000 Bose at West Ed. Mall, During one of their demo's..Sounded OK. But for $6000??? I asked the guy if he ever sells any. He said yes, and I told him my system cost the same, and sounds MUCH better. (I still enterd too win one lol)

I would look into finding a used 2ch amp and some decent speakers. Or even a "decent" set of computer speakers at the very least.

I also not trust brands like Nexxtech, Koss, plastic-tech, Quest, Crap-tech ect.

I think Klipsch and Logitec have good CPU speakers. But I am not sure. Maybe try ebay.

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

A $100 may get you five speakers and a "subwoofer" but I've heard several such systems and they sound like major poo - IMO most boomboxes at that price actually sound better.

I'm a major surround fan but if the sound itself is no good, no amount of extra channels can make up for that deficiency.

I would also look at those PC speaker systems or mini-stereo systems. And if you could come up with some extra $$$, this Sherwood 2.0 receiver (many times on sale for $90) and a pair of these two-way Pioneers (these also seem to go on sale with very large price drops) I'm sure will sound better than pretty much any of those systems.