Looking for a Cheap PC-based Mobile PVR Option

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Buzz Foster, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

I got a Treo 700p recently, and am having fun with the video portion. Since MPEG-4 video at 320 x 240 res takes up not too much space, I'd like to perhaps get a card that will connect to an old Directv receiver, act like a PVR, record my favorite shows, and encode them into 320 x 240 MPEG-4 and save them on the hard drive. That way, I can just drag and drop them into my Palm Desktop, sync, watch them, and delete. The Treo can use up to a 4GB SD card, so that's lots of room.

I found this at Newegg: KWORLD VS-TV7133. Would this fit the bill?

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    So are you wanting to install a video card into your current PC, record the show you are interested in, compress it to MPEG-4 and then dump that to your Treo?

Parker

3. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

That's basically it. I do want to automate the process as much as possible, so I would want a card/software combo that can do those low-res MPEG-4 compressions for me. My current setup can capture and compress, but I have to work it myself. I just want to have the episodes ready to drag and drop. Some way to do IR control of the sat receiver will be necessary, too.

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I would love the slingbox. It will allow you to watch your DVR/cable box remotely, however it will not allow for recording onto your remote PC. This addition would make it ideal.

5. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    wow....I did a google for slingbox recorder and easily hit on a recording program that will interface for only $29.95. Way cool. Im in

6. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

Slingbox is cool, but I already have an extra Directv receiver. Adding a cheap card that will encode to the format I need would probably do it all.