Looking for a cheap PAL/NTSC & All Region DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelO, Mar 5, 2002.

1. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys...
    I'm lookin for a cheap DVD player that does PAL/NTSC & All Region.. I came across this player:
    Super DVD-903
    Have you guys heard of it?
    I know about the Malata 996, but I'm looking for something cheaper.. sub $200 if possible. Do you guys have any suggestion? Or I should spend more and get the Malata?
    Thanks!
    Joel

2. Tulli

Tulli Stunt Coordinator

Look for the Daewoos (3000GN, 5700, 9000GN) starting at $99 (Amazon.com price).
    Also the Sampo DVE-611, which sells for around $149 but can be found for less.
    I own a Sampo DVE-611 and - the unbeatable - Malata N996, and can recommend this player.
    The nerd-out.com forum has special sections dedicated to these players:
    http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/

3. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for that link! It was very informative!

I currently own the Tosh 4700 (PS & DVDA). Do you guys think I should just get a cheap hackable DVD Player (Daewoo, Sampo, etc.) or buy the Malata and sell my Tosh? What would you guys do?

Joel

4. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

5. Tulli

Tulli Stunt Coordinator

I would certainly try to buy a Malata. Please keep in mind that it's the only player out there (together with the JVC XV-...) that does a correct PAL to NTSC conversion, that is, without distorting the native pal aspect ratio. Besides it has incremental zoom and one of the most handy features, the X-Y scaling. And it's progressive scan. I still don't understand why the Malata is the only DVD player in the market that offers all these features.

6. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Tulli,
    I Would love to get the Malata, but it's just not possible for me to do that unless I sell my Tosh 4700.
    I know the Malata is the only one (for now) that does PAL->NTSC perfectly, but I'm wondering how much will I miss out on that by going w/ the cheaper ones. Is it unbearable to watch? Do you guys have screenshot to compare the two? After all my TV is an old Sony 27" that doesn't even have S-input!! [​IMG]
    Do you guys think it's wise to replace the Tosh w/ the Malata? What do I lose in terms of quality by going w/ Malata?
    Jerry,
    Thanks for the review. I'm considering the 5700, 9000N or the Hyundai seriously since it seems better & easiest to hack than the others.
    Joel

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have a loophole menu apex and I don't mind the PAL conversion at all. The distortion is not huge.

8. Tulli

Tulli Stunt Coordinator

Given your TV set, your major problem will be 16:9 enhanced PAL DVDs, where - to give you an idea - a 1.66 PAL native frame will be vertically stretched almost filling the 4:3 TV screen, whereas in non-anamorphic DVD's you'll get a little squeezed - and more than bearable - picture.

So, I don't know how much can you bear ...

9. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Philip,
    What kind of TV are you using? Are you using anamorphic or non-anamorphic PAL DVD? Is it possible for you to do a screen shot?
    Tulli,
    So you're saying non-anamorphic PAL DVDs will look better w/ my TV set? I think this is a case where a picture worth a thousand words.. [​IMG]
    You say 1.66:1 PAL will be stretched vertically ALMOST filling the screen (so not quite filling the whole screen), is it safe to say if you imagine a 1.85:1 NTSC DVD stretched to fill my screen COMPLETELY, the 1.66:1 PAL will look better? Since 1.85 usually almost fill my screen anyway and 1.66 is bigger than 1.85.
    Thanks again for all your help!
    Joel

10. Tulli

Tulli Stunt Coordinator

JoelO,

Let me put it this way: in terms of aspect ratio, a correct Pal/Ntsc conversion in your case - a 4:3 TV WITHOUT 16:9 mode - and provided you set the DVD player to 4:3, should imply conversion (AND DOWNCONVERSION IF the native PAL is 16:9 enhanced).

Now, when converting PAL to Ntsc these players (Sampos, Daewoos, etc.) NEVER downconvert. It is like you had set the player to output to 16:9 always. Plus, these players remove every third line instead of every sixth line from the original PAL, thus squeezing a bit the picture.

But if your TV set had a 16:9 mode your only problem would be the - really tolerable - squeezing, for no downconversion would be needed in any case by the DVD player (you'd set it to 16:9).

In my experience, when facing this problem last year (I also had an old 27" Sony) my only solution was to set the DVD player to PAN SCAN, which also produces a compensating horizontal stretch but throws away left and right portions of the native PAL image. To me it was unbearable so I ended up buying a TV set with 16:9 mode (I wanted to go HDTV anyway).

If you can tolerate this problem, fine, a cheap player will do. Otherwise the Malata (or modded JVC with mediamatics chip) is your only alternative.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

12. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Hi Tulli,
    Thanks again for your post, I think I almost got it now.. [​IMG]
    Basically, on PAL DVD on my 27" NTSC TV.. if it's anamorphic 16:9 DVD, the picture will be stretched vertically and at the same time removing every 3rd line making it a bit squeezed. But if it's not anamorphic, then the picture will just look a bit squeezed. So basically anamorphic 16:9 PAL won't look nice on my TV. Is that about right?
    I read somewhere the reason for this is because these cheap DVD players are using the same chip to do the PAL NTSC conversion and the Anamorphic squeeze on 4:3 TV.. and it can only do one thing only.. so that's y you get the vertically stretched pix. Is that about right?
    Philip,
    Thanks for your help. No biggie about the pix.
    Joel

13. Tulli

Tulli Stunt Coordinator

Right JoelO, you got it.

14. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

If you're just going to use the player for 4:3 material, it's no problem. But anamorphic widescreen PAL is a pretty unpleasant experience with a loophole APEX. I've been there. Go for the Malata if you're a) going to be playing anamorphic widescreen DVDs or b) are likely to be getting a component set that can take a progressive output in the next year or so.

15. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Thx guys,

I'm hoping to upgrade my TV to HDTV ready.. maybe in a year or so.. but Malata is still a little out of reach for me, I don't even spend that much on my main DVD player (Tosh 4700).

The next question would be how many PAL (anamorphic especially) DVD would I be interested in buying/watching. I'm mainly interested in HK, Japanese & Korean movies (other than R1 stuff), and from the few movies that I've looked, all of them are NTSC w/ the different Region (most are even region free). Is it safe to say about 90% or more of HK, Japanese & Korean movies are NTSC??

I might be interested in buying DVD for movies that is not out in R1 yet like Sleeping Beauty (French), but I'm not sure whether it's PAL or NTSC, can anyone help? Will most if not all European DVD be PAL?

Thx!

Joel

16. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

17. Ron Dodolak

Ron Dodolak Auditioning

Ron
    So if I understand the posts correctly the Malata player doesn't have the problem with stretching an anamorphic 16:9 PAL DVD vertically like the rest of the players? Is this correct?

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, it's also very tweakable in terms of adjusting the picture

19. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

So what will happen if you have a PAL>NTSC player (like a Daewoo) and try to play a 16x9 Pal disc on an a 16x9 NTSC wide TV? Will there still be these incorrect stretching problems or is that only with 4x3 TV's?

20. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

David,

From my understanding, the incorrect stretching problem only exist for PAL anamorphic widescreen DVD on 4x3 TV. For 16x9 TV, you won't have that problem, but you will still have the non-perfect PAL->NTSC conversion problem.

Joel