Looking for a cheap -all in one- unit

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack*Mains, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Sep 25, 2002
    Sorry, im not sure where to post this, because it includes a little of everything.

What I am looking for is an -all in one- unit for a friend. What that means is it has to have an 2 slot cassette deck, a cd player, a tuner, the amp, and speakers.

THe biggest problem is it has to come out for under $300CAD. It doesn't have to be loud, in fact he will be listening to it at quite low volumes, but the sound should be of decent quality with some adjustable dynamic bass.

I tried piecing together a unit, but it came out to over $500. Maybe I should start looking at some 'future-shop stereos' at least then include everything. If it comes down to that, what would you suggest as some decent brands?

Thanks a lot for any help.
  2. Michael Preyer

Nov 24, 2002
    I suspect that about the only thing that will fit those requirements is an all-in-one "shelf system". However, I can say, through personal experience, that some of them are very impressive sounding for their price.

Each of my two teenagers has that type of system. After listening to many different brands and price ranges, they both settled on a Aiwa unit because of it's clean sound and strong, firm bass. Niether unit has surround speakers or a separate subwoofer. Yet even I am impressed with the sound and I've always been a bit of a stereo snob.

The specific Aiwa models they each bought are not sold any more, but the current Aiwa NSX-D70 is very similar. It can be found for as low as $180 US dollars. Without looking at the current exchange rate, that should be pretty close to $300 Canadian dollars. Go to some stores and listen to a few of these small systems and see what you think.

Best of luck to you!