What's new

Looking for a cheap (~$150) CD megachanger. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am looking to add an inexpensive CD megachanger ($150 or less) to my bedroom shelf system. The shelf system is hardly high-end, so an inexpensive megachanger is all that is warranted. The shelf system (Sony DHC-MD555) has a five-disc CD changer, but I would like to load up a megachanger with CD-Rs for convenience. Since this is only a bedroom system, I don't need a 300- or 400-disc player. Frankly, a 50- or 60-disc unit would do the job. I saw the Sony CDP-CX53 50+1 changer at Circuit City the other day for $150, and Crutchfield sells it for $130. Frankly, I was not impressed with this player. Build quality is average at best. Of course, what do I really have a right to expect at this price point?

Another alternative for around $150 is the Technics SL-MC4 60+1 changer. I haven't seen this one in person yet, but it looks to be a nice changer. It doesn't have the typical carousel design for a megachanger, but I don't know if that is good or bad. Unlike the aformentioned Sony 'CX53, the Technics 'MC4 displays CD-TEXT and allows you to enter disc titles via the remote. All in all, the 'MC4 looks like a winner.

The only other player I might consider is the Technics SL-MC7, which is a 110+1 changer that sells for around $180. I haven't seen this model in person either, but upon a cursory look on Crutchfield's web site, it appears to be the same as the 'MC4, except, of course, that it holds more discs. I really don't need the larger capacity, but I would get the 'MC7 over the 'MC4 if there were a compelling reason to.

Does anyone have the Sony 'CX53, Technics 'MC4, or Technics 'MC7, or has anyone compared these players? Is there a reason to avoid any of these players? I am not expecting all-world performance from one of these models, mind you. Just a reliable player to play CD-Rs with a shelf system. By the way, I assume they all will play CD-Rs. Is this a safe assumption? Thanks in advance.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Eber electronics in San Francisco had a sony es model 200cd

going for around that price that had a $800 list.

It was missing the manual and some other things but was in good working order.

I have to run and I don't know if they are on the web.

Maybe you can luck out and grab it

good luck

Grant

JohnFR

Stunt Coordinator
Depending on what your willing to spend and how much space you have available, you might consider going up to at least 200 CD player. You'll be surprised how many CDs you will end up wanting to put in there. I got my Kenwood 200 CD for about $180 at Circuit City, so the price premium is not that great.

Also, make sure the player will read cd text and has a wide display. This way, if your intention is to load it with CD-Rs, you can burn the title and track info on the disc from CDDB and you won't have to enter it manually. Believe me, it's a pain to enter text with the remote, and I don't know if you'll find a player in your price range that accepts a keyboard.

JR

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Grant,

I don't live near San Francisco, and I'd rather not buy a used player. Thanks anyway.

John,

I have two Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc megachangers daisy-chained in my main stereo system, so I don't think I'll really need a higher-capacity changer in the bedroom. The 'CX333ES has a keyboard input, which is certainly convenient, but I don't think I'll need one for a smaller-capacity changer. Also, the Technics SL-MC4 and SL-MC7 do display CD-TEXT, so if I were to burn CDs to CD-Rs via my computer burner with text, I wouldn't need the keyboard input. I am in the process of burning CDs to CD-Rs with text for my 'CX333ES megachangers and could very well do it for a smaller changer in the bedroom.

The Kenwood 200-disc model for $200 isn't bad, but I'm not sure I would ever fill it. I can get the Technics SL-MC4 for as little as $180. That's probably enough for the bedroom.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Keith,
Go to Tweeter and ask a salesman to check for any open box or demo Sony ES changers at any of the store locations in your area.
I got a Sony CDP-CX555ES demo for $150 with missing remote. The salesman of course had a replacement remote which cost more than what I payed for the changer shipped to me free of charge :) They had the 333ES models that you have for $20 less at the time.
Worth a try.
Gil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.