Looking for a center channel

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jack Sampson, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Jack Sampson

Jack Sampson Stunt Coordinator

I'm slowly trying to build a budget system. I bought a pair of Polk R30's and they are great for the money. Now I need suggestions on good center channel. I'm thinking of the Csi25 but it seems a little big for my tastes. It will be sitting on top of the tv for now. Can anybody think of anything else?

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

hmm.

The Csi25 is 6-9/16"H x 15"W x 7-9/16"D.

Polk recommends that r30s be "matched" with the cs-1.
    7" H x 18" W x 9-5/8" D. Even larger.
    Circuit city sells this mysterious speaker known as the csm. I think it's supposed to pair with "m' series speakers-- which, iirc, are rebranded, and cosmetically altered 'r' speakers. The specifications are not directly accessible on the polk website, however, their database is quite amenable to rewritten URLs [​IMG]

6.5" x 19 x 8.4

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/cs1/
    http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/csm/

The main problem is that any matching center will probably include a sizable midrange unit. The thinner polk center channels won't be able to reproduce men's voices very well.

3. Jack Sampson

Ok now that I am completely confused is the Csi25 a bad chioce? The Cs1 is only a little bigger. Would it realy make that much of a difference?

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

IIRC, the csi-25 is an overseas model. I'm not sure why Fry's stocks them. If you can listen to them, fine. If not, well, it's a bit of a gamble.

The CS-1 is designed to be paired with the Monitor speakers-- the timbre matching might be a tad more exact when used with Monitor 30s or 40s. I have one, it's a fine speaker, but the cabinet is fairly large.

I have not had the chance to listen to the CS-M, but circuit city should have it in stock. Some people have had some success with a R15 bookshelf, but I wouldn't recommend laying it on its side.

Basically, though, if you want a good match with your speakers, you'll get the best results with a fairly large polk center. If you use a thinner center speaker, with 3.5 inch drivers, you'll probably notice that it sounds better in 4.1 mode... Not a terribly comfortable position.

5. Jack Sampson

Thanks. I'll check out Curciut City this weekend and see if they have a csm.

6. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Fry's has the Csi25 center speaker on sale for 49.00 at their store in Downers Grove,IL the sale ends at closing Tuesday

7. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

hmm, that is a good deal, if the speaker is decent enough.

I've got a different problem. I have a heterogeneous speaker setup consisting of

fronts: b&w 303
    center: polk cs1
    surrounds: polk r15.

The cs1 was purchased with the intent of matching some old vintage speakers with more fidelity than the center that I had (small diameter drivers and all). I had planned to go with polk fronts. Unfortunately, I was rather unimpressed with the candidates (stupid, stupid...), so I purchased b&w instead. And, of course, there's a matching center for that (which I hope to soon acquire.)

should I be successful, this will mean that my polk cs1 will no longer be needed. However, I could run a 6.1 setup with the cs1 as the rear surround. Thoughts? My receiver does not support 7.1.

8. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Sure, I would at least try that (running the CS1 as the rear center). It'll either be better or worse to you, and it's free to try once you have the new center.