Looking for a Celery fcpga chip...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianB, Apr 17, 2002.

1. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I need a Celeron fcpga chip to speed up my BookPC. At the moment it's a Celeron300 that's in there & it's just not fast enough for decoding DVDs.

Anyone got a spare one suitable for the job that they'd be willing to sell? Failing that, good links? There doesn't seem to be many bargains on this chip on eBay, and the selection on pricewatch is a little lame. Which of course, doesn't instill me with much confidence on getting a bargain!

I'm not looking for a 1GHz chip or anythin - around 600 would be ideal I think.

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

if you have a c300, that's a PPGA chip (mendicino core), not FCPGA. If you wanted to use a FCPGA chip (coppermine core), you'd need an adapter. PPGA celerons go up to 533MHz, and the FCPGA ones start there - so if you go with a 533 chip be sure you get the version you want

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Ahhhh. Ta for the pointers. I think my manual's lieing to me. Not like PC manuals to do that...

Do you reckon the difference between a 300 & a 500/533 will be enough to decode DVDs smoothly? I get a 'pause' every minute or so on the Celeron300.