Looking for a budget $$ DVD player with DVD-A/SACD/HDMI

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Nick V, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

My brother is looking for a budget priced player that does sacd/dvd-a with HDMI video output. He's looking to spend between $300-350 and I'm not even sure if this exists.

Can somebody please help me out?

2. JarrettJ

JarrettJ Stunt Coordinator

Check out the Panasonic DVD-S97.
    Got one on sale the other day at Future Shop for $329 plus taxes.
    It plays everything but SACD's. Even plays DVD-Ram.
    Comes with a HDMI cable right in the box. Incredible picture.
    Would be a good start.

3. Larry Fabbri

Larry Fabbri Extra

My advise is to purchase a Toshiba 4960 ($200 Audio Empire Toronto). It plays everything. The only drawback from your requirements is that there is no HDMI input, but when you consider that a DVD has only 480 lines of resolution, I think that you would find it difficult if not impossible to detect the difference between component video connections and HDMI. To future proof yourself, your main concern should be that your display has enough HDMI inputs, because once blu ray or hddvd (or both!) come out, the value of the HDMI input increases dramatically.

4. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

The DVD-841 Samsung does that, only it is DVI. Of course, a DVI to HDMI cable will give you everything that you asked.

5. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestions.

The reason he needs HDMI output is very specific. He had purchased a 46" Toshiba CRT RPTV (with HDMI in). He purchased a set of good component cables from blue jeans to use with the DVD player, and an HDMI to DVI cable to use with his satellite receiver (with DVI out). To make a long story short, he didn't like the picture he was getting in his room with the Toshiba, so he ended up going with a Hitachi. It only has DVI input, so now he needs a DVD player with HDMI out to use with his TV and cable.

I haven't really found anything in his price range, and the Samsung HD-941 isn't available in Canada as far as we can tell. I suggested the Denon 2910 (I have a 3910 that I really like) but it's over his budget.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The HD-841 (the one the poster just before you was talking about) is for sale at Future Shop