What's new

Looking for a budget 4k receiver (1 Viewer)

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I'm looking to spend about $300 or less for a 4k receiver. CNet's top pick is the Onkyo TX-NR585 for $290. It seems to have all the features I will need. I do not have a 4k TV yet.

I only use a 3.1 system in our family room, and that will not change in the future. What do you guys suggest? Would I be better off buying the TV first ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I guess someone has me blocked, since I see no response. Just a “thanks”, so I don’t have any idea what was said or what I might contribute.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I guess someone has me blocked, since I see no response. Just a “thanks”, so I don’t have any idea what was said or what I might contribute.

I don’t see anything else either, John. But I’m certainly interested in the answer to this question. I have an Onkyo currently that’s fine for all my HD content but won’t pass through UHD. And that’s been fine since my projector is HD and the priority device in my dual display setup. But now my TV is UHD and the lack of support for that on my receiver has me treating the TV as if it’s HD instead of UHD. It’s not a top priority upgrade for me but one of those little background fixes I wouldn’t mind working on inexpensively. My current receiver was never state of the art so the replacement doesn’t have to be either.

But I don’t mean to hijack Jim’s thread, just interested as always in your two cents.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There’s always the option of a UHD player with dual hdmi outputs. I haven’t researched the cost to get players with that, but it seems like the best solution in a lot of cases.

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
You guys weren't blocked. I was being a smart ass because there were 82 views and no replies !

I will probably wait and buy a new TV first.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There’s always the option of a UHD player with dual hdmi outputs. I haven’t researched the cost to get players with that, but it seems like the best solution in a lot of cases.

The problem I’ve seen with those is that they tend to be only one HDMI out has both video and audio, and the second one is audio only. For it to work for me, I’d need both HDMI outs to be video.

I need to have one pathway that can run from the player to the receiver so that the HD-only projector can get a video signal while the receiver plays audio. And then a second path for the TV to get UHD video while the receiver played the audio.

But I have multiple devices, so just a dual output UHD player wouldn’t help with the AppleTV, for instance, which can do 4K when plugged right into my TV but not through my receiver, which forces it to drop down to 1080.

For me specifically, a new receiver is the answer. But I think something more budget is fine because I’m still living in an apartment where I can never crank it to truly loud volumes so I don’t need oodles of power.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For me specifically, a new receiver is the answer. But I think something more budget is fine because I’m still living in an apartment where I can never crank it to truly loud volumes so I don’t need oodles of power.
Yeah, your situation needs a 4K compatible receiver with two hdmi outputs, or a splitter after the receiver. In the case of the OP, a UHD player with dual outputs would work by sending the audio to the receiver and video directly to the TV. The downside is you lose OSD from the receiver for setup, so you'd need a second video connection for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks