Looking for a book on accoustics

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RickBlacker, Sep 16, 2003.

1. RickBlacker

RickBlacker Stunt Coordinator

I am currently reading this book...

[​IMG]

While it has lots of detailed information I am finding to be be way over my head. I am really wanting a book that can give the same information but dummied down. In a nutshell what I am wanting to accomplish is to learn enough about accoustics to treat my theater myself. I want to learn how I can figure out where I should absorb, where I should diffuse. What materials to use etc...

Can anyone give any suggestions?

Thanks so much
    Rick

2. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I was just about to order that book...

It is highly recommended...

3. RickBlacker

Keith... Don't get me wrong, it's a good book with lots of theory, mathematical formulas and what not. There is good information and hit is a very information packed book. It's just that I don't plan on becoming a sound engineer or anything near that. I get the impression that this book is for someone who is *REALLY* into acoustics. I would like to know some theory and what not, but wow... This goes deep. Much deeper that I want or need to go.

I want a dummies guide to figuring out how to treat your room to get the best acoustics out of it with a fair amount of theory. :b

4. Pat

Pat Agent

5. RickBlacker

Thanks Pat! [​IMG]

6. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

want to sell your copy of the master handbook??

7. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Rick,

I don't want to discourage you, but understanding acoustic principles and using that knowledge to treat your room is not easy to "dumb-down". I do think Alton's book is really good.

Did you get to the section near the rear of the book about the ETF acoustic measurement program? If you go to the ETF website , they have a demo room example of many of the important aspects of room treatment issues. This is as concise as I've seen it presented.

By the way, this program is a big help in identifying and helping you understand how changes to your listening room effect the acoustics. Using the ETF program in your room with the book as reference should help you understand the issues better.

8. JoshuaT

JoshuaT Stunt Coordinator

Dickason's "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" is pretty good, it really helped me to tune my setup and figure out why doing some things makes others happen!

~josh