Looking for a better theatre

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by dustinSkater, Mar 18, 2006.

1. dustinSkater

dustinSkater Agent

I am new to this website and was looking for suggestions on a theatre. I was looking at a bose lifestyle 35 series II. But reading some things on this website maybe bose isn't the best. I will mostly be using it for xobx, but also a lot of movies and music, which are mostly all the uses. I am willing to pay up to 3000, but any less would be better. It is going in my room so the speakers can't be gigantic but i do have a decent amount of room. The only thing that could be a problem is the subwoofer. Right now I have a Panasonic SA-HT920, I bought it when I was 14 but now I am 15 and have a job and have saved up good amount of money. I was looking at an Onkyo because people have said they are pretty good. But on the subwoofer, I have to put it right between my tv and my bed. They are pretty close. It would be in my room and I spend a lot of time in there. I also want it to be heard throughout the house (and maybe the neighborhood). But I want to be able to feel the bass too. So any system that is better than I have now and is pretty good, and I guess at a decent price. I was frowning on the price of Bose but now looking at systems that cost a third of what Bose is would really be better, then I could upgrade my laptop. My friend's dad has some Boston speakers that sound pretty good, but I would like some recommendations. And lastly, for the receiver, it would be going on a wire shelf so there would be plent of ventilation.
    Thanks.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

If I were in your shoes I would probably get the Ascend Acoustics 340's with matching center and the HTM200's for surrounds. Then pick up the SVS PB10 for the sub and a receiver of your choice -- H/K, Yamaha, Denon, etc.

Or, you could get the SVS package and pick up a receiver and come in under $1500. Not as good as the Ascends (I own the SVS package, so I'm not bias toward the Ascends), but a very, very good setup nonetheless.

3. dustinSkater

dustinSkater Agent

Thanks. I think they look like my first pick now. But I am still open to other suggestions and I am still doing research.

4. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

As far z speakers go I fully agree with SethH with the exception on recommending the 170s for surrounds if you have the space. There is a group that prefers the 170s for mains as well so dont eliminate them as an option unless you have a big room. If you will be sitting less than 5 feet from the speakers the 170s might be better. As far as a sub goes take a look at SVS and HSU. Those subs will blow your mind. I would post a thread in the Receivers section regarding that part. Good luck.

5. dustinSkater

dustinSkater Agent

Ok, this is what I will probably be doing for speakers-CMT-340 SE front pr + CMT-340 SE center + HTM-200 surround pr
    What kind of subwoofer do you think would be better the HSU or SVS. If it were an HSU I would get the HSU VTF-2 MK 2, compare it to an SVS in that price range. I am very limited in the space where I can put it, in fact I know exactly where it needs to be. It has to go right at the end, on the floor, of my bed. So if that helps a recommendation.
    And one other question, would I be able to feel the bass. I guess I am comparing it to a Bose sub. Those I can actually feel it in my chest. But for the sub that I have right now, and probably every other one, I can just feel it on my butt, or what every I am sitting on. It is kind of hard to explain. I would have no idea because I havn't heard either the HSU or SVS, but I of course have heard the Bose. I am actually excited to hear a sub that sounds better than that. Now I am no expert but it seems like Bose products like have the sound travel through air. The reason I say that is I have the Ipod sound dock and I can easily hear it all throughout my house, I can hear it better than my surround sound system. Even my friends agree. But I would like to know what sub is better because I really like the feel of the Bose, and people say there are much better systems and I am looking forward to hearing, and feeling them. And I know Bose is overpriced so I would just like to know what is the best sub in the $500-$600 range.

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

As far as feeling the sub, consider this: as frequencies drop lower, you begin to feel the energy more than hear it. Once it drops to about 20Hz, most people can no longer hear anything, but can only feel the energy. Bose has never made a product that gets anywhere close to 20Hz. The bass module they use in their surround sound system drops off somewhere between 30Hz and 50Hz.

I'm guessing you're in a relatively small room, so with room gain any of the SVS or Hsu subs should be pretty strong down to 20Hz -- even lower depending on the model you get.

If you want a "box" subwoofer, the PB12-isd is really the only one SVS offers in your range (or the smaller PB10). If you're willing to consider a cylinder I'd go with the 20-39pci.

7. dustinSkater

dustinSkater Agent

Ok so I have decided on the two final subs. Which is better and do you think I should get VTF-2 or PB12-ISD. I don't mind the price difference either.

8. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

The PB12-ISD is going to be more powerful. I think it would probably compare with the STF-3 or the VTF-3 instead of the VTF-2. I remember people talking about how the PB10 had higher output than the VTF-2. All that said, I personally like HSU a lot with SVS a close second. You will find others that will only buy SVS. Between the VTF-2 and the PB12 I would get the PB12.