Looking for a A/V reciever for Bose 16 speaker system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kent Tran, May 21, 2004.

1. Kent Tran

Kent Tran Auditioning

I have a Bose Acoustimass 16 speaker system as a gift and looking for a good "match" receiver for it. When I start to do some research, ...wow...so many choices out there for receivers. Please help!!! My budget is $200 - $300.
    Thanks!
    kt

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

If you do a quick search here on Bose you'll find more than you wanted to read about them and their speakers. In short, they're not very well liked, and justifiably so.

Much as I'd hate to say it though, at that price point (or perhaps at any, but I won't go there) with the Bose speakers, it's not going to make much of a difference what receiver you drive them with.

3. Paul S

Paul S Stunt Coordinator

$300.00 will buy you a beautiful Panasonic SAXR50 DIGITAL receiver that will perform with the best of them. Lots of bells and whistles and plenty of power. Check it out at J&R musicworld.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Ihave to agree with Drew. Any reciever you would get isn't going to make the BOSE speakers sound any better or worse. I had a pair of Bose and got rid of them once I listened to other speakers. In all honesty if you recieved them as a gift just sell them. You can make a nice profit off them as if they are brand-new and you can buy yourself a VERY NICE home theater system for the money. By the way, the Acoustimass module is not a subwoofer either. It is just a mid-range driver that can't reproduce the low frequencies of a true subwoofer. Also, the cubes are nothing but big tweeters. What a joke.

Just go pick up some used POS with them, spend less money on that crap.

5. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I thought the blose cubes can only be hooked up to the Acoustabass (hehehe) unit [​IMG]

How about selling them on Ebay and buy some much better speakers for the price and couple those with the Panny unit mentioned above. I'm definitely giving those digital units a shot (especially for bedroom listening....for now).

6. Huy T

Huy T Auditioning

i'm glad i sold my bose[​IMG]. I suggest you sell it on ebay (~$900 if new) and get a pair of polkaudio rti8 at circuitcity. For the receiver, i would go for yamaha htr-5760 (~$360 total), it's a very good receiver for the price.

7. ericanthonE

ericanthonE Stunt Coordinator

your bose is maybe just fine for you. It is a nice RETAIL speaker. And maybe that is all this guy needs. I would recommend a denon receiver for you if you could buy one used somewhere for 200-300. Other than that, you are probably not going to notice the difference between panasonic/sony, etc.

Eric

8. Wyatt_Y

Wyatt_Y Stunt Coordinator

I would check out some of the large online/catalog merchandisers - most of them have a wealth of information about the receivers they offer. Spend a couple hours perusing specs and features. Many will have explanations of terminology to help you understand items you may not be familiar with. There are lots of choices in your price range.
    Hopefully you can ignore the respondents that cannot answer a simple query without interjecting juvenile comments displaying a total ignorance of social appropriateness!
    wy

9. ericanthonE

yes, i am sorry about the rude comments of others. There is NOTHING wrong with bose. Bose is still bose, however when you come into a forum such as this, your realize maybe that Bose is not as far up the ladder as you probably thought. For instance you probably thought they were the BEST. For a retail outlet/one who shops at best buy maybe that's true.

We all just have SOO much money wrapped up in our obsession that we sometimes forget that others are NORMAL such as the guy in this case. We are more like 1/1000. Bose is more than adequate probably for you, and they don't take up space. So Enjoy!!

Eric

10. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

You can't be serious.

11. ericanthonE

what kind of speakers do you have drew?

12. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I run Energy Veritas 2.1 mains.

There are *TONS* of great compact systems now, especially with the large scale recent development of speaker systems to complement plasmas. Maxiumum sound out of minimum speaker.

The flags must go up if a speaker company REFUSES to publish specifications which are the norm in the speaker world, and then spends lots of money pursuing people who publicly voice opinions contrary to their marketing BS in court.

13. ToddPhipps

ToddPhipps Auditioning

An honest, legitimate company has nothing to fear from an empirical analysis of their product. Only the crook and the charlatan fear objective analysis.

[​IMG]

To be fair, one does not need to see a frequency response (or lack thereof) graph to know Bose speakers sound like dog poo, one needs only to listen to the damned things. Woofy, tubby, and indistinct "one-note" bottom....sucked-out lower mids...smeared treble...what's not to hate? [​IMG]

TP

14. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I wonder how many watts dog poo is rated for...did you do a dog poo versus Bose A/B comparison?

Dare I ask about observed frequency response for the dog poo? [​IMG]

15. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Which breed's?

16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Folks,

Let's remember to be polite to other members.

The humor in this thread is innocent I am sure,
    but not very helpful to someone coming here looking
    for some sound advice.

Let's get back on topic and help this individual out.

17. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Here's what I'd do:

1- Go out and find a place where it's possible to listen to other speakers next to Bose.

2- If like the other speaker(s) better, sell the Bose (said to go for $800/900), add the $200-300 which sums up to $1000-1200. Buy the speakers, and get a decent entry level receiver like Denon 1604/1804.

3- If happy with the Bose sound, and don't want to bother with the hassle of selling the Bose, buy the above mentioned receiver (or any other entry level receiver in the $300 area ), for I absolutely agree that any receiver in the price range will more than adequately drive the Bose and if you opt this way you wouldn't be caring anyway...

BTW, what the dogs had to eat must be equalised before performing such a test.

18. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ok, here's what I would do.. forget all the Bose bashing. Bose may not be my favorite speaker in the world, but they also are not quite radio shack, and they will suffice if you like them.

If you're looking for a receiver from $200-$300 you have quite a few options now.

I would recommend looking at the Panasonic as previously mentioned. You might also look at the Onkyo SR502.

I can't think of anything else really in that budget. But those two aren't bad choices.