What's new

looking for a 6.1 set up (1 Viewer)

hi all. I am replacing my onkyo htib with some real speakers.I would like to ask some opinions on these brands because I am on a budget and need to replace my receiver(best mid level? dennon3800 series?) as well later on.I just want an upgrade for now,so I can upgrade better later.I have looked at flaunce,bic acousteck,( I am VERY intrested in these and have read alot of mixed reviews)polk and the klipsch.I can tell you 1,500 for klipsch is out of the question unless I can wait months to put it all together.I want to spend as little as possible(

thanks alan,but a 5.1(I need a 6.1) set for 1,000? that may be a great price,but a little too steep for me at the moment.I really want to know about bic acoustic on ebay. I have read several comments on here but need more feedback.I know alot of people say they are klipsch rip offs,but do they SOUND good.and who on the forum has them?the only other alternitives for me seem to be polk,flaunce or being patient and trying to piece together a klipsch set up(older model) 1 piece at a time over several months. any thoughts all? thanks...kyle

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Kyle: How big is the room? If not real large, get the SVS package w/out the sub, and then just pick up a less expensive sub off audiogon or Ebay, or order a Dayton sub from Parts Express. Other alternatives would be the Hsu ventriloquist system, or just get a whole bunch of Paradigm Atoms :)

thanks alan.my room is 18ft wide(front to back) and 25ft. long(side to side.)I really am looking for front towers instead of bookshelves.I have my onkyos(bookshelf fronts and 3 surrounds) suspended from the celing in a circular array pointing downward.it really sounds great,but I just want to upgrade and be so loud that I just can't take it!my onkyo htib does really sound good and is on the cusp of being ok,but I want to be able to have so much volume to spare that I can't ever turn it up all the way. I figure a new speaker set and a good quality receiver will do the trick,I hope. thanks..kyle

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
wow, either I've had one too many beers or I just wasn't following your original post. So what you want are tower speakers, preferably less than $800? And then you'll use the Onkyo surrounds you already have for the side and rear channels?

What about a subwoofer?

hey alan.I've had a few too.but to answer your question. no,I am not looking for just front towers.that would be too easy. I want a whole new speaker package to replace my onkyo htib speakers.I will keep my receiver for now. I will keep my 150w onkyo sub if I have to.at least for now unless I can find or put together a full speaker package( 2 front towers,a center,a sub,and 3 surrounds) for under700-800.even buying piece by piece or pairs. that's why I asked about bic acoustics on ebay.they have a 5.1 set(including a sub) for around 800 and I would need to add 1 surround to make a 6.1 set up.the auction is best offer or buy it now for 788 I think.I have a best offer put in,but I doubt they will accept it.what about the older klipsch models like the older rf models? can it be done for about the same price if I choose to buy piece by piece? and are the older ones very good? thanks........kyle

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The Bic Acoustech speakers are interesting. I own the H-100 subwoofer and it is great. I would highly recommend it to anyone searching for a sub in the

thanks seth. I know that "as good as or better than klipsch" is,in my opinion,is bogus.I know all about the bogus review and some of the rip off talk.but I think there may be a possibility that they are at least pretty good? maybe as good as the low entry older klipsch models? if this is true,then I just may give them a try.I just want to know how they compare to polk,fluance,swan,rockets,yamaha,ect.and cerwin vegas(the low end entry,but good, models).I know that high end speakers are just as subjective,but you must be willing to spend 1,000s of dollars to build a set and if you don't like them,then it is alot money wasted.I am hoping that the people on the forum will give me thier stories as to how they started to upgrade,what they started with and thier mistakes on speakers and recievers.or what will get me to the point of having a really good low to mid priced home theater that beats my onkyo 6.1 htib.I know the speakers are not really good and I think the reciever is not very much better.only about 45-50w per channel.it says 600w but I know that is a lie.(ht-r510)I want a reciever that will really put out 100w per channel without breaking the bank. I appreciate everyone's help!!!....... kyle

Billy J

Auditioning
Best bet is try e-bay or your local Craigslists.org for setups. I would just upgrade piece by piece because of what you are budgeting and size of the room. Otherwise you can do what BBuys and CCity does and just set the speakers really close to viewing area.

xAbre1200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Justin
Let me know if you decide to buy them. I am also intrested in purchacing them

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Can't offer any real advice on those BICs since I have never heard *any* BIC speaker in my life (though back in the 80s they did build the first cassette deck that ran at 2X normal speed to increase sound quality and IIRC it got good reviews :) ).

edit: Wow just did an image search for those BICs - they may sound good, but personally I am suspicious of any company who uses a visual design that is nearly 100% identical to another company's product.

With this combination + that Onkyo, you're definitely going to need some efficient speakers:

Cerwin-Vega "E Series": E708s on stands for left/right front and rear, plus the E75C center

or

use the 3-way E710 (95dB SPL!) for fronts, E76C for center and E708s for surrounds (just turn up the rear levels more to match the fronts, but make sure they aren't being overloaded - their SPL rating is quite a bit lower than the E710's).

For a more refined sound but with relatively less loudness capability, look at their CLS series.

I can't find any reviews for their new VE series, but (just guessing here) they look like a less robust version of the E Series.

Because their speakers are quite large/heavy and partly because of their "party" image, Cerwin's speakers are always priced quite low for what you get, though the new-ish CLS Series has been reviewed and found to demonstrate more sonic refinement than previous Cerwins (among other significant changes, I'm sure the use of that soft dome tweeter sourced from Vifa accounts for much of this). JR.com sells most of these.

Plus, while looking for the Cerwins' prices......

Since Audiovox bought Acoustic Research I guess they are either going to introduce a new line or get rid of them completely (they already ceased selling Advent home speakers*) because the following model has been given an *extremely* low price tag:

Acoustic Research ARVP600

These dual 6.5" floorstanders have received good-to-very good reviews here & elsewhere. And they look quite cool!

* another brand they bought from Recoton, Recoton being the company who bought these two once-proud companies in 1994, and (with a few exceptions) drove them into the ground by slapping their respected names onto cheesy plastic garbage. :angry:

xAbre1200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Justin
so, did you ever buy the BIC Acoutechs yet? i am also very interested in buying them to replace my current 2 bose speaker + module (used as front left / right ) and my Klipsch sc.5 (center) with the BIC Acosutech

Tons of reviews here, im not sure if there real or not, but they really seem to say that the BIC are better than Klipsch...... thou im not sure they know what they are talking about

http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?prid=1054

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks