Looking for a 5.1-7.1 speaker system for $2500

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Adam W, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Adam W

Adam W Stunt Coordinator

Dec 18, 2003
    I am looking for some new speakers that cost approx $2500(can go slightly over if necessary). I have a Yamaha 2400 and the room I am going to use them in is 10' x 20'. I have looked at many speaker companies on-line (you seem to get great deals) and have no clue what I want anymore. I am looking for something, preferably, that would match the way the room furniture looks. Everything is black, charcoal, or beech.

I have looked at Rockets (I am not a fan of how the speaker looks but that can be overlooked), Swans, Aperion, and Axioms (M80ti looks awesome to me). Even though you can't buy them on-line I have herd great things about Tannoy speakers but have no clue where to find them.

I will use the speakers mostly for movies and very little music. All the help is greatly appreciated.
  2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Dec 17, 2003

Mains B&W DM603 x2
    Center B&W LCR60
    Surround B&W DM602 x2
    SVS 20-39PC+ or SVS PB1-ISD depending on your tastes

This would give you a great 5.1 setup and you could step it up to 7.1 for not too much above your budget.
  3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Dec 6, 1998
    I recently purchased a Yamaha 2400 and have Paradigm Monitor speakers with it. There are seveal models in the Monitor series that could fit your budget. For fronts I have Monitor 7s, CC-370 center, and for surrounds Mini-Monitors.
  4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Feb 26, 2002
    2500$ is a good chunk of change...you should be able to get something decent for that. A few I would recommend:
    1) Axiom M60 mains
    150 center
    qs8 surrounds and whichever svs that the company would recommend.

2) Paradigm Studio 60
    cc470 center
    mini monito surrounds and the svs suggestion above

3)Boston acoustic Vr2 mains
    Vrc center
    bravo surrounds....and of course the svs.

Those are my suggestions, in no particular order. Other companies to think about, B&W, Def Tech, Polk, Rocket, Mirage etc. Good luck.
  5. mark_th

mark_th Extra

Mar 12, 2002
    I previously owned Paradigms. I had mini monitors, and CC-370. I know have rockets, The RSC200 center and RS150's for fronts and rears. While I find them similar sounding the I am able to drive the rockets much further. They never sound strained, while the paradigms would at times. The 200 center is better than the CC-370 IMO. Maybe see if someone in your area has the rockets or axioms and listen to the other locallly.