What's new

Looking for a 2nd HT system - for about $600. Any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

aldamon

Second Unit
Frank_M, can you tell me how big your basement is? Our living room is ~ 20 x 15 and this is the primary setup I'm contemplating right now:

* HTB-505

------------------

Total = ~$500 with new wiring

OR

* JBL NSP1 (Did you see the NSP1 IIs? I see no difference in specs between the series I and series II, but there is a substantial difference in price)

Price: $240 shipped at Buy.com with $10 off coupon

* Pioneer VSX-D711 (5 x 100W / DPLII / DD / DTS)

* Sony SA-WM40 12", 120 Watt Sub (will probably stuff it with poly fill)

Price: The receiver and sub are a combined $420.89 shipped at Etronics.com

------------------

Total: $660.89 + wiring = ~$750

Can the "value" of any solution be influenced by room size? With such a small living room, will I REALLY notice a difference between the separates and the HTB-505? The difference in cost between the solutions is a whopping 50%!

Frank_M

Stunt Coordinator
Our basement is.... I think, about 12x14? Not sure.

A few things for you, though. The Sony SA-WM40 is a 10" sub, not a 12".

As for me, regarding the sub I'm deciding between:

JBL PB10

CSW Basscube 10

I can get the Bassecube for $170 shipped off of hifi.com's e-bay store. I've dealt with refurbished stuff from CSW before, and I have no doubts whatsoever in them.

With the PB10... Seems i'm going to have to lay out $200 or more, with shipping. Not sure if there's a $30 difference between the two subs.

I saw the refurbs at harmanaudio.com but they were for the line previous to the PB10... and even those were about $170 shipped.

Opinions, anyone?

Frank_M

Stunt Coordinator
Was able to get the CSW Basscube 12" for $180 shipped, so I jumped on it! It was off of hifi.com's e-bay store.

So... on the the receiver. Thanks for everyone's help.

Miklsan K

Agent
As Greg s pointed out above, that new Onkyo HTS650 is pretty hard to beat for home theater on a budget. It is configured a lot like the old Kenwood HTB-504, but it seems to sound a little better. The receiver is similar to the new TX-SR500 (maybe even a little better!) and the subwoofer is more than decent. At that price, I'd take a listen if I were you. Happy hunting!

Frank_M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just popped for the Onkyo TX-SR500 from bestpriceaudiovideo.com for $269 shipped!

Thanks for the great recommendations everyone.

So my final tally:

JBL1 speakers from J&R - $250 shipped

Basscube 12" powered sub from hifi.com - $180 shipped

Onkyo TX-SR500 from bestpriceaudiovideo.com - $270 shipped

= $700!

Funny, because we had been considering a package at Cambridge SoundWorks for $700 (plus $35 tax!) that had speakers that were worse or at best equivalent to the JBL1s, an 8" sub, and a low-end Sony reciever.

So I'm really psyched!

Thanks again!

P.S. Shoot. Just remembered, I still need to track down another DirecTivo unit to go with that system. Damn this hobby!!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks