1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a 2 channel integrated amp or receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chuck Schilling, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

I'm having to replace the old Kenwood receiver in my garage which has just died. I'm looking for a 2 channel only integrated amp or receiver which will power 4 speakers. I'm looking for recommendations for this replacement, and here are my criteria:

1) Solid power handling (driving Polk R15's)
    2) Reasonably accurate
    3) Moderately priced
    4) Digital in if possible

I'm willing to considered used/refurbished equipment if reliable. I'm planning to source this with .WMA and MP3 files from a laptop computer.

Can anyone help?

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

What's "moderately priced" to you? What is the minimum power requirement for the R15's and at what input impedance?

3. Chuck Schilling

Dan,

I'd like to limit it to $300 or less. The Polks are looking for between 20-100 watts at 8 ohms.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    See if you can find some cheap XR-series recievers from Panasonic on ebay or something...

or go vintage...

5. Chuck Schilling

In doing a little research at J&R's site, I found the HK 3380 for about $230 and the HK 3480 for about $300. I'm strongly leaning toward one of these at the moment, as I have had excellent experience with my HK AV7200 HT receiver.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    A stereo receiver and an integrated amp are not the same thing. Most integrateds are stereo analog only and do not include an FM tuner, so what it sounds like you are looking for is a stereo receiver. Can't go wrong with Onkyo, Denon or H/K for a stereo receiver, and if you like your H/K, I'd just stick with them. You can go directly to www.Harmanaudiooutlet.com and check for factory refurbs too (seems to be down right now).

7. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Chuck - check out the Denon DRA-685 stereo receiver. It has a very robust power supply. I just got a refurbished one from Dak-Mart which is a Denon authorized dealer for a refurbished unit. It lists for $499, but I got it shipped to my house for less than $300. I looked around at HK, Rotel, Onkyo and none seemed to have as strong a power supply.

8. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

I have a NAD c370 integrated powering a pair of Paradigm v2 Studio 20's. I'm very happy with the NAD. It will have no problem with 4 ohm loads. No digital in though. You should be able to locate a used unit for around your $300 target price.

-Dave

9. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

pick up a used Yamaha RX-v1070 or RX-v870 . very powerful receivers and around $150 for the 870 or $200 for the 1070 .
    870 is rated at 80x2 @ 0.015thd 8 ohm, 1070 is rated at 110x2 8 ohm 0.015thd . And built like a tank, they don't make a yamaha like this anymore.

10. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Onkyo 8511 receiver, well under $300 new with A + B speaker switching capability plus ability to even drive 4 OHM speakers.

Anything more than that and I feel it would be overkill as you would have electronics much better than the speakers they are driving (Polk R15s).