What's new

Looking for a 16x9 set 65". Any suggestions?... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am looking to upgrade from my 52" rptv to a 65" rptv. I want it to be HD compatable, but not with the decoder in it. I have Dish Network and with their HD receivers I just need a HD compatable set. Does anyone have any suggestions for which 65" WS set to get? I don't want to spend over 3k.

Thanks!

Randy Noel

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Toshiba 65HX81, and love it! Since the -82's are out now, you might see what kind of deal you can get on the HX81 if anyone has any left in stock. I got mine for well below $3K, but I have connections at the Toshiba factory. Good luck!!

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
I can recommend the following three models (they were the finalists when I did my 3 months of research and shopping):

The Toshiba mentioned above, the 65HX81 (last year's model, so it can be had for considerably less than 3K right now. Pluses: Great stretch mode for 4 X 3 viewing. Minuses: Some minor ghosting issues, and also it does an automatic upconvert on your 480p stuff (DVDs), which may introduce minor artifacts.

Mitsubishi 65819 (last year's model, so it can be had for considerbaly less than the 3K right now). Pluses: Excellent image, very tweakable, and good company. Minuses: All Mitsubishis have noticable "red push." It CAN be fixed (I did this), but the fix can be a bit nerve-racking.

Pioneer Elites were the 3rd model, but they are not really within your budget (nor were they within mine)...

Hope this helps,

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Users who are viewing this thread