What's new

Looking for 6.1 receiver under or around $300 (1 Viewer)

Jonathan:H

Auditioning
Let me know how the HK 230 works out for you. I'm looking into building a home theater system myself, but am on a tight budget since I'm only a poor college student. :D

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the 230 today and it looked very nice.

Really consider the ELT speaker package for 899. I do not think for one second you will be dissapointed. I would say you should spend more on speakers than a receiver also but that's just me.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Robert R: If you don't need the SIX point one capability, you have a whole other set of less expensive receivers to pick from. Did someone tell you that you HAVE to have 6.1 to have a quality HT system? If they did, that is cowcrap. And, you don't have to go around looking for a single speaker (i.e. center rear) to match your other five channels.

Better speakers vs. better receiver question: IMO based on years of putzing around with this stuff.....SPEAKERS every time. :emoji_thumbsup:

LJ

Robert Ross

Agent
Robert R: If you don't need the SIX point one capability, you have a whole other set of less expensive receivers to pick from. Did someone tell you that you HAVE to have 6.1 to have a quality HT system? If they did, that is cowcrap. And, you don't have to go around looking for a single speaker (i.e. center rear) to match your other five channels.
It's just personal preference. Although I've never had 5.1 surround (or actually heard it in a home), I like the idea of having the sound completely around me, including behind my head. I'm sure I would be amazed at just 5.1, but 6.1 would sound all the more impressive. Heck, if I could afford it, I would go with 7.1, but that's the nice thing about the receiver I'm getting, all I need to do is add an amp and I'll have 7.1 ready to go.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
If you don't care for the newest stuff then go for the HK AVR-225, it is the 2002 model and I currently own it. It is a 5.1 reciever but it is a very nice piece. You can find it at www.soundcity.com for $240 refurbished. It comes with the full manufacturer warranty so don't worry about the fact that it is used, HK usually does a good job on fixing bad units.

That will put you on your reciever mark, depending what you want for speakers, I would recommend if you aren't looking to spend more than $600 then go with this setup:

Klipsch Quintet 5 piece speaker set - $350 approx.
Suwboofer of your choice - $250

If you are looking for about $1000 then I would go for some bookshelves. A place to view some possible options are Bestbuy and Circuit City.. although they aren't the best they usually offer some nice prices and will give you a sort of idea of what your getting. Hope this helps you out.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
Go here to get the HK AVR-230 for $380 shipped. JandR is a great place to buy as well. I've got speakers and receivers from there. Later.

Jason

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
Gotta second the Onkyo TX-SR501 recommendation. I've had it for about 6 months now and love the sound and options...escpecially for $299

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks