What's new

Looking for 6.1 receiver under or around $300 (1 Viewer)

Robert Ross

Agent
I'm working on starting my home theater (already have the tv), and am giving myself a $1000 budget (I can go over that, just not a whole lot more). I figure out of that $1000, I can spend $300 or so on the receiver. I'm wanting 6.1 that supports both DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX (the latter mainly for my Star Wars DVDs). As for connections, the more the better of course, but it's not essential to have too many. The only thing I'll be connecting to it right away is my DVD player (component and optical), but I may hook up a gaming system in the near future (again, component and optical), and a jukebox cd changer (optical or coaxial).

In the past I've always trusted Consumer Reports ratings, and the two they reccomend for a modest price are the Yamaha RX-V440 and Onkyo TX-SR501 (found on ebay for $259 and $249 respectively). My main gripe about the Yamaha is lack of connections. It has only one optical and one coaxial and no S-video at all (doubt I'd use it anyway, but still nice to have just in case). So that leaves me with the Onkyo, any opinions on this model or any other reccomendations based on what I'm wanting? Thanks in advance.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Also check the Pioneer VSX-D912 which has been getting good reviews around here & can be had for under $300 I would also check out some of the Kenwood models.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I would recommend the Kenwood 6070. It does both DD EX and DTS ES. I've had one for around 8 months and love it! Great receiver! You can find it on EBAY for $319. There is a good review that Sound & Vision did on this receiver, if you do a search on here I'm sure that you'll find it.

Here's the specs:

Without this receiver from Kenwood, you just think you are getting the best sound! But with THX Select certification and Dolby Digital, THX Surround EX, DTS, DTS-ES, and Dolby Pro Logic II surround decoding, your favorite CDs and DVDs will come to life and your movies will explode from the screen. 5 S-Video inputs let you connect high-resolution components, so you can get the most from your DVD player or satellite receiver. Come hear what you've been missing.

FEATURES:

Number Component Video Inputs : 2
A+B Speaker Switching : Yes
Front Power (Watts) : 100 x 2 @ 8 Ohms
Center Power (Watts) : 100 x 1
Surround Power (Watts) : 100 x 3
Bandwidth @ Rated Power : 20Hz - 20kHz
THD% at Rated Power : .09
Dolby Pro Logic : Yes
Dolby Pro Logic II : Yes
Dolby Digital : Yes
Dolby Digital EX (6.1) : Yes
DTS : Yes
DTS ES (6.1) : Yes
THX : Yes
Number DSP Modes : 5
Multi-channel Input : 6.1
Number Digital Coaxial Inputs : 2
Number Digital Optical Inputs : 2
Number S-Video Inputs : 5
Subwoofer Output : Yes
Phono Input : Yes
Number AM/FM Tuner Presets : 40
Remote Type : RF/IR Learning Remote
Center Power (Watts) : 100 x 1
THD% at Rated Power : .09
Number DSP Modes : 5
Dolby Pro Logic : Yes
Dolby Digital : Yes
THX : Yes
DTS : Yes
Number S-Video Inputs : 5
Subwoofer Output : Yes
Number AM/FM Tuner Presets : 40
Remote Type : RF/IR Learning Remote
Front Power (Watts) : 100 x 2 @ 8 Ohms
Dolby Pro Logic II : Yes
Bandwidth @ Rated Power : 20Hz - 20kHz
Surround Power (Watts) : 100 x 3
Dolby Digital EX (6.1) : Yes
DTS ES (6.1) : Yes
Phono Input : Yes
Number Digital Optical Inputs : 2
Number Digital Coaxial Inputs : 2
A+B Speaker Switching
Number Component Video Inputs : 2
Multi-channel Input : 6.1

Bill Will

Screenwriter
The Panasonic will do "EX" even though it doesn't say it. Check www.audioreview.com I'm pretty sure there is info on it doing "EX" there. The Panasonic is a good receiver for the money & the only problem really with it is the louzy remote. www.etronics.com has the Kenwood 7070 THX Select for $296.95 & www.etronics.com has the Pioneer 912 for $285.88 You can find the specs, front, back & remote pictures at www.crutchfield.com for all of them. The only other thing I might add is DON'T GO BY Consumer Reports for electronics. But the Panasonic did get a great rating by Sound & Vision Mag. If you don't mind Refurbished Receivers the Panasonic 100 can be found for $199 & the step up Panasonic 200 with more watts, inputs & a better remote can be found for around $300
but I would checkout the Kenwood THX Receiver first.

Robert Ross

Agent
So many choices! They all look great, epsecially the Kenwood. I couldn't find any info about the Panasonic on the website that was posted though. Another receiver I'm looking at is the Sony STR-DE895. It's within the same price range and seems to have all the same specs as the Kenwood (without the THX certification, though). Correct me if I'm wrong, but all these receivers really perform the same, right? The only difference being how many connections they have, their power output, and how easy (or not) it is to navigate through the menus.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I would recommend the pioneer vsx-d912k. I got it from 6ave.com for $300 and it is worth every cent. The 110w/ch is inflated but it has good power. The MCACC auto speaker configuration is just the best. Definitely take a look at it.

Robert Ross

Agent
Well, after doing a search on here for the Sony receiver I know to stay far away from it. It looks like I should go with either the Pioneer 912 or Kenwood 7070. Is the Pioneer's auto adjustment really all that useful?

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
Check av123.com. They have a nice package deal on a Denon 1804 receiver paired with the ELT Series speakers and subwoofer for $1250.00. This would be an awesome package to get your Home Theater started in my opinion.

Also Etronics has the Yamaha RX-V540 for $289 which has more features than the 440 you were looking at. They also carry the 640 for not much more.

The Pioneer 912 looks pretty nice as well. Etronics also has the Pioneer Elite VSX41TX for $349

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Yes, the Pioneer's automatic speaker setup is really useful & not just a gimmick. If your having a hard time deciding on the Pioneer or the Kenwood I would suggest that you download the owners manuals from each company's website & read through them. It just might help you decide which receiver or remote control you like better. Myself, I would give the nod to the Kenwood (Even though I hate the silver color) just because it is a THX receiver. The only drawback on the Kenwood that I know of is that it's Component Video Output is only 10MHz so don't plan on using it for HDTV. If I remember right the Pioneer's Component output is 28MHz. Check Crutchfield's website for the Component MHz. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of these receivers so now the hard choice is up to you ;) But maybe someone else will chime in here with some more suggestions just to make it even harder :D

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Let me add another NEW reciever into the mix for ya'. Harman/Kardon AVR-230. It is a 6.1 channel reciever but if you hook up a seperate amp you can have 7.1 channels!

Another nice feature of Harman is it's amplifier. You won't find an amplifier that can compete with HK's unless you move up into the $1k range and even then you'll have some trouble.

It's rated at 50watts (more than the reciever you are really looking at). Why you ask? HK rates there "true" power ratings unlike other companies. The other companies rate there recievers to how much power can be driven at the 1KHz mark... if you can understand that. In reality the power of most of the recievers you are looking at is no more than 40watts.

HK also features Logic7, another format of Dolby ProLogicII. It basically will make a 7.1 channel signal from 2 channel stereo and is a nice little feature... I think it sounds better than PLII myself.

HK includes all the other bells and whistles the other companies do and I don't think HK left anything out on this reciever. Take a look at it and you will be amazed. The sound is awesome, the power it delivers is unbeatable and it's price is just amazing. You can find it for about $350 in some places... A little more than you're looking for but we are talking a reciever that will last you for 5+ years.

Robert Ross

Agent
*head explodes*

Ok, so now 2 more choices have been added to the mix. Yes, I have heard about the video output on the Kenwood (and I DO have a HDTV), so if anything I would just hook my DVD player directly to my TV, although I have no idea what 10mhz or 28mhz means HD-wise. As for Denon deal, could you post a link? I couldn't find the deal you were talking about. I am still trying to decide on what speakers to get, could someone give a second opinion on both that amp and the speakers (I realize this isn't the speaker board, but I'd like to keep this all in one topic)? And I will also check out the Yamaha and HK mentioned.

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
Robert here you go. I can't post a full link until I have 15 posts :frowning:

But this will work just copy and paste. Read some of the stuff on the ELTs and I think you will want to really consider these.

forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1097

Bill Will

Screenwriter
For sound quality the HK beats them all but with S&H your around the $400 mark. Also if your looking for low-priced speakers take a look at the 5 Speaker Fluance model AV-HTB which go for $250 delivered & have been getting good reviews and then add a Sony 40 Sub-Woofer. Do a search on both of these on this board & you will get a lot of info on them.www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html

Robert Ross

Agent
Well the HK is a bit over the price mark. I might be willing to get it (it seems to get rave reviews on this site), but then I would have to cut the spending on my speakers. Is it better to go with a better quality receiver over better speakers? I would be willin to bump my budget up to $1200, but I'm still not sure what to get speaker-wise or how much that portion is going to cost me.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
That's around how much I spent on my setup. I have the following 6.1 setup...

Kenwood 6070 receiver
Paradigm Atoms(5)
Paradigm CC-170 center channel
Sony SA-WM40(modded)

For the price I think that my setup sounds REALLY good. I plan on adding a seperate amp and running a 7.1 setup, but that's still a few months away.

Robert Ross

Agent
Could someone link me to a site that has the H/K 230 for $400 shipped? At pricegrabber the only store that has it for that price is avsale, and they have no reviews at all, so there's no way I'm takin the chance of buying through them.

*edit* nevermind, after doing a search through the threads I found that jandr sells it for that much. It looks like this will be the receiver I will go for, havn't read one bad thing about it so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks