Looking for 5 disc DVD....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy F, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Andy F

Andy F Stunt Coordinator

Sep 10, 2001
    My hk cd player crapped out one me and I'm left with a decision. I can either just get a new cd player, or sell my DVD player and get a 5 disc dvd.

I need help looking for a 5 disc DVD player that:

Plays CDR's (HK DVD 50 doesn't)

Progressive scan would be good

Good CD playback

Zoom would be good for playing DVDs

I really like the nad tr series player, but it's over $600 new. ANY other options out there for around $500?
  2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Apr 15, 1999
    The JVC XVF-80 and 90 players are 7 disc progressive scan dvd changers that would easily meet your requirements. The 90 adds dvd-a playback and built in dd-dts decoders.
    These can be had for around $300.
    I've had an XVF-80 since September. It has zoom capability as well as auto scaling of non-anamorphic dvds, 2 complete sets of user adjustable picture controls as well as 2 factory preset modes. Has 3/2 pulldown for film based dvds. No "chroma bug", and normally zips thru layer changes almost imperceptibly.
    JVC's had a poor reliability reputation for their earlier models, but mine has worked flawlessly for nearly 6 months.
  3. Matthew_Judd

Matthew_Judd Extra

Jul 14, 2001
    I too wanted a DVD carousel for both CD and DVD playback in the same ~$600 price range. I couldn't really find anything that I was happy with (progressive scan, no chroma bug, and either SACD or DVD-Audio.). It may just be that I quit looking too soon however.

What I have tentatively decided on doing is getting both an inexpensive but quality single-disk DVD player like the upcoming Panasonic RP-82 ($280) and a CD carousel, perhaps the Sony CE775 ($350). Besides, this way I'll be able to play both SACD and DVD-Audio discs.

So, my advice is to get a seperate CD carousel that you are happy with and keep waiting for a quality universal disc changer in the $600 range.

Sigh. You'd think that if I could purchase two seperate components that equal the functionality of a 5 disc universal player for less than $600 then someone could manufacture the whole thing in one unit!