Looking for 5.1 Sound Card

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JawhnM, May 2, 2006.

1. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a 5.1 (or better) sound card to add to my pc that can be connected to my home audio system for use with DTS and DD soundtracks. Most of the cards I've seen only have outputs for computer speaker systems. I have seen a few with Toslink optical connections but none with Coax. Toslink is not a financially viable option for me since my computer is around 30' (in another room) from my audio system. I can build an inexpensive digital audio cable from RG6.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

3. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator

A little pricier than the $30 Toslink card at Best Buy, but the M-Audio card should work nicely.

Thanks

4. Kean-Hock Yeap

Kean-Hock Yeap Stunt Coordinator

5. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

The X-Fi line has a history of issues, some of which Creative has openly acknowledged. Here's an article that delves into the subject.

6. Tom Sims

Tom Sims Auditioning

If you are only going to be using your sound card as a pass thru to your reciever using the digital coax then a top of the line 7.1 is a little expensive for what you need. You can pick up a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 5.1 for a lot less and it will do everything you need. I've been using one for years with no issues but I have never connected speakers directly to the card. I let my reciever do all of the processing instead of the computer.

One note. If you are only using the digital out then be sure your DVD player is using SPDIF.