What's new

Looking for 2 channel stereo receiver advice (1 Viewer)

Rookie

Auditioning
Real Name
Henk
I'm looking for a replacement of my 23 year old Technics SU-Z55 amplifier and my Pioneer F-223L tuner that recently quit working. I only need a basic setup: play music CDs on a DVD player and listen to FM radio. There's no home theater needs. So basically, I would only need a 2 channel stereo receiver.
My current amplifier has an A+B speaker switch. I have 1 set of speakers hooked up to the A speaker ports, and 2 sets of speakers to the B speaker ports (these speakers are in other rooms). All speakers are 8 ohm.
I'm noticing that there's only a small range of 2 channel receivers, while there's a huge choice in multichannel receivers. Can I use a 5.1 channel (or 6.1, 7.1) receiver instead of a 2 channel receiver, or should I stick with the 2 channel receiver since I'm not going to use all the speaker ports?
Any advice? Are there certain features I should look for? Are there certain types or brands of receivers that I should avoid? (I don't want to spend more money than really necessary.)

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Budget? What kind of speakers is the system going to be powering? How picky are you about the sound? What kind of music do you listen to? Ever think you'll listen to hi-rez formats (e.g. SACD, DVD-Audio)?

You could use a multi-channel receiver for 2-channel, but I wouldn't do it. Even if I had to spend more money. I (and this is just me personally) would get something as basic as possible for 2-channel, with little to no bells or whistles like, DSP (digital sound processing) and so forth.

Perhaps something like this for around $299:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Shane, is that the Yamaha RX-397? If so, I would second the recommendation. It has no video switching capabilities at all. It has great reviews on Amazon and Crutchfield. Crutchfield sells it for $249.

Crutchfield: Yamaha RX-397

Rookie

Auditioning
Real Name
Henk
Thanks for your input so far!

Budget
I'm trying to stay below $300.

Speakers
Main speakers: Sony SS-MF550H, 150 Watts max (floorstanding, 3-way)
Room 2: Pyramid 4080 Monitor, 250 Watts max (bookshelf)
Room 3: Jasco Model 411, 100 Watts max (bookshelf)
All speakers are 8 ohm. Each room has a separate volume adjuster.

Kind of music/formats
I'm not extremely picky about the sound, however it has to sound good. I listen to all kind of music, but mostly pop/rock. I'm not planning to listen to SACD or DVD-Audio music formats. I play my music on a Sony DVP-NS325 DVD player.

Possible options
On crutchfield.com I drilled down to 2-channel stereo receivers in a price range of less than $300. This resulted in the following 5 receivers:
- Sony STR-DE197, $135
- Onkyo TX-8222, $180
- Onkyo TX-8522, $250
- Yamaha RX-397, $250
- Denon DRA-297, $300
I also ran into the Harman Kardon HK3480 for $252 at Amazon.

Thoughts?

Shane Harg

Second Unit
For your setup and needs, I believe any of the receivers you mentioned above would work fine. I would look at the Yamaha or Denon first, then the Onkyos and not give the Sony a second thought. That's just me, though.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The H/K has video switching I believe, but the Yamaha is a good solid performer for the price of a new stereo receiver. I am proud owner of a Yamaha receiver, so I am biased.:D

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Henk

I agree with Shane Harg

Just stay away from Harman Kardon...Please keep in touch with me.

Rookie

Auditioning
Real Name
Henk
I just bought the Yamaha RX-397 at crutchfield.com. Thanks everybody for your contribution!
I'll come back in a couple of weeks to share my experience.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'm looking forward to your thoughts. I'm thinking about getting the same model myself.

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan

Why? I'm looking for a stereo receiver like the OP, and have narrowed it down to either a Harman Kardon or an Onkyo. Specifically, I'm thinking of getting the Harman Kardon HK3480 for $250. What's wrong with the Harman Kardon?

I'm going to be listening primarily through headphones, and will only add a pair of speakers later on. I listen to classical, jazz and hard rock.

What do you guys think?

calsr

Auditioning
Real Name
Calvin
Shane - I have a pair of 15" Altec Lansing Vintage custom cabinet speakers that have unbelievable sound. I need to get a new 2 channel stereo receiver. I'm very picky about the sound. I was looking at the Yamaha RX797. Yes, I would be interested in listening to hi-rez formats. What are your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread