Looking for 2.1 computer speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by McPaul, Sep 9, 2002.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I heard these Logitech speakers on display at Compusmart here in town for $250 Canadian you get 4.1 plus a powerful sub. Total power 400W RMS approx... loved the sound. Is there an equivalent 2.1 with the same design of speakers and sub?

If not Logitech, can anyone recommend a good set of 2.1 speakers for my computer? Max I'm looking to spend is about $120 Canadian. Thanks.

2. Jeff Pug

Jeff Pug Stunt Coordinator

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

How about Klipsch?

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Paul; if you want to check out a nice THX cert system that won't bankrupt you(Ahem..Klipsch[​IMG])try the Z560 from logitech..
    As for 2.1 I've found that Altec Lansing has a pretty good product.
    Look at Monsson products too. They have some good flat panel stuff.
    Brent

5. Mark Hsieh

Mark Hsieh Agent

I've got the z560 from Logitech, while they are awesome, I've noticed they kinda get whacko with higher frequency, namely classical music due to the lack of a dedicated tweeter.
    The z560 are good if you're going to be bumping hardcore g4ngsta rap or whatever else you listen to [​IMG]. If you just want 2.1 then buy the z560 and leave out the two rear speakers since the Klipsch 2.1 cost around the same as the z560.

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I'm using that Logitech system as well and there is no problem using it with just two front speakers. It's a bit overly bass happy but once you compensate by dropping the bass setting in the windows mixer it does sound pretty good, with plenty of oomph in the woofer for games etc.

But of course, they still don't cost $250 canadian... but I don't think there is much out there to compare with them if you are limiting your budget to $120.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This is interesting because just the other day I was looking for such a system but I was not satisfied with any of the subs that came with the bundled 2.1 systems. I ended up using my existing Infinity speakers with an 8", 100W HT subwoofer. Works very well.

8. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

Labtec makes great ones. you should test those out, they're not that bad in price either...

9. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i went the component route as well.....picked up an old marantz stereo receiver for $50.....yamaha 8" 100 watt sub for $90....and the speakerpage.com K05B50 kit speakers with the front baffles for $95.

10. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    thanks for the input guys, I might just have to look into the component route here. You're right, the 2.1 speakers aren't that good and I don't want to pay the 4.1 prices. Thanks all! [​IMG]

11. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Paul - I own two sets of Midiland 2.1 speakers and have been very happy with both. At work I have the 4030 system and at home I have the 4060. Both are 4 piece systems, 2 satellites, 1 subwoofer and a control module that can be installed in an open 5.25" bay in your PC or left on your desk. The module includes volume, bass and treble. I purchased both systems more than 2 years ago, but you still may be able to find them online or on ebay.

BTW, both systems are used primarily for listening to music. The system at home is also used for the occasional game.