Looking for 1080i DVD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Marc_Sulinski, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

I am looking to get a DVD player that ouptuts 1080i so that my TV's (Hitachi 57XWX20B) internal scaler will not upconvert the 480p signal to 540p. I am currently using a Toshiba SD5109, and I notice a lot of dithering of reds on my TV, and I am hoping to fix this by bypassing the scaler.

I considered the Samsung model, but a lot of people seem to have audio synchronization issues. The Denon 5900 ($2000)is way out of my price range, which is about $3-400. I would prefer something without the chroma bug, as this may also be the cause of my problem.

I am not positive that the problem is in the scaler, but I would at least like to try, as it is really annoying. If anyone has recommendations on DVD players or what the display problem might be, I would appreciate it.

2. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

In order to receive a 1080i signal from any DVD player on the market, your set must be equipped with a DVI connection which is capable of accepting copy-protected signals. No one makes a player that upscales to HD through the component inputs.

I believe the only players that upscale are the Samsung 931, the Bravo D1, the Liteon LVD 2001, and the LG DV7832.

Keep in mind, though, that unless you have a LCD, DLP, plasma, or other truly "digital" display, you probably won't see a benefit from using the DVI connection. I have a 46", rear projection, CRT Sony and I tested out the Samsung 931. The picture actually looked worse through the DVI than it did in progressive scan through component.

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

If you have a DVI input, the Momitsu V880 (regionfree & Macrovision-free) delivers steller video. Look @ avsforum.com for more info. This player also has component output for 720p/1080i, but the picture is soft. If you don't have a DVI input, the best player is the now-discontinued LiteOn LVD-2001 (look @ eBay). It delivers very good picture via component.

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

If you truly mean that no one makes a player that upscales to HD, you are correct.

If you mean that no one makes a player that upscales to 1080i through the component inputs, you are mistaken. See the Liteon 2001 (although, even there, you are technically correct since it's out of production)