What's new

Looking at upgrading to JVC XV-S42 any opinions? (1 Viewer)

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
Right now I've got a Toshiba 2107 so anything will be better. I can get it for $259 CDN.
The stats are:
-10-bit/27 MHz video D/A converter
-Component video, S-video and composite video outputs
-1-bit PEM D.D. converter with 96MHz/24-bit audio resolution
-3-D phonic
-Optical and coaxial digital outputs for PCM/ dolby digital and DTS
I'm running it with the JVC reciever RX-884v
Any opinions would be great.
Thanks in advance
Jon
------------------
Where the heck is Plucky? HERE DUCKY DUCKY DUCKY!!!
Magic armour is good but it tends to lose its magic without warning. Many an ancient lords last words had been " You can't kill me because I've got magic AARRGG!"
-Interesting Times-

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
Hello? Anyone? Bueller?
------------------
Where the heck is Plucky? HERE DUCKY DUCKY DUCKY!!!
Magic armour is good but it tends to lose its magic without warning. Many an ancient lords last words had been " You can't kill me because I've got magic AARRGG!"
-Interesting Times-

John Di Lauro

Stunt Coordinator
Jon,
I picked up the S40-BK about 5 months ago and have been really happy with it so far. I am not familiar with that Toshiba unit you mentioned so I can't offer a comparison for you.
I'll give you some impressions I have so far:
Likes: Of the entry-level units I looked at (Sony, Panasonic, Philips) this one is the quietest by far. Compulink feature is nice with my JVC televison. Picture was as good or better than those other units (it is connected to the TV using component cables). Downconversion seems acceptable, does not have the chroma bug.
I also wanted a unit for use as an audio player, and this machine will play CD-R/RW. I've been impressed with the sound quality, I think it sounds better than my 6 year old Nakamichi CD player.
Dislikes: Remote layout is poor, but I've sort of gotten used to it. The play key has small Braille-like bumps on it so you can find it in the dark, then move to the other commonly used keys.
Compu-link turns on the TV even if playing an audio-CD
Long load time, about 15 seconds for DVDs and 10 secs for audio CDs. One loaded, though, it seems to navigate faster than the other units I mentioned.
Will not pass a 96/24 signal thru the digital outputs. Not an issue for me, but if you are into the Chesky material and
such, this is probably not the player to get.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks