What's new

Looking at the Palm m130...got a question re: flash ROM vs RAM (1 Viewer)

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
This device only has 2mb flash rom vs the 4mb of the Sony PEG-SJ20.

The Sony has 16MB RAM and the m130 has 8MB.

Is having a low flash ROM bad?

Why?

The RAM is for loading programs, documents etc... how is the falsh rom used and for what?

Sorry if this comes off as a dumb question but I'm not too familiar with PDA's and PPC's and I'm looking to jump in.

Thanks for any help!

Steve J

Agent
Flash ROM allows you to "flash" the ROM---as in to erase it and place new data on it. On handhelds, ROM is used to store the OS. So flash ROM devices let you flash a new version of an OS.

In the specific case of the m130, however, it already has the latest Palm OS for that device---4.1. The newest versions of Palm OS (5.0 and 5.1) will only run on handhelds with an ARM processor. m130 has an older Dragonball processor.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
In addition to the OS the ROM also stores several of the built-in applications (the datebook for example).

I'd strongly recommend the low-end Sony over the Palms. The Sony screens (even in the b&w varients) are much better than their palm counterparts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks