What's new

Looking at the k8t800 mb (1 Viewer)

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about building a new PC. I discovered that Intel's 3.2 P4 is getting beat by AMD's 64-bit 2.0... Anyone have any experience with these 64 bit pieces of equipment. They are more expensive but I would be willing to pay close to $500 for a board and chip. MSI and Asus seems like good choices - any opinions?

Thanks!

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
hey buddy, i have a A64 3400+ and i used the MSI K8t and it is a great board.. not the best for overclocking but ive been running it 24/7 for the past month with zero problems. i use it as my HTPC and my gaming machine, playing all the newest games, silky smooth and sweet for HTPC..

Craig

ps A64's are the way to go these days!

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
Craig Woodhall,

Hey what are the temps of your CPU? I'm considering getting an AMD 64 too, but heat is a concern to me. I hear the 64 bit chips are breaking the trend of AMD's running hot. Is this true?

When you post your temps, can you tells us for when the cpu is idle, and when it's under a load?

Christo,

One thing to keep in mind is that most of the online benchmarks you see are running 32 bit apps on the AMD 64 chips. This means that they're not showing off the full potention of the AMD 64 chips.

I would expect heavy computational applications to run much faster when built to run in 64 bit mode, especially when the appilcation performs long integer (64 bit or greater) math, or high precision floating point arithmetic.

The 64 bit chip should also run very nice when we get to the point where we're putting in greater than 4GB of RAM in our systems.

- bones

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
sorry guys, i forgot about this thread..

Christo,

nope the FX is WAY overpriced and the 3400+ A64 even beats it in some of the benchmarks.

John,

my temps aren't bad at all, 35 deg idle and 52 deg under full load..

Craig

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
What mother board would you guys reccommend - I hear Asus is pretty good, but I read somewhere that MSI invented a system that automatically over clocks the board as it deems necessary. Is this for AMD chips too?

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Thanks, I saw that article already, though. I was hoping Craig could also measure temps give us another data point.

- bones

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can tell you (I switched from a Prescott 3.2 to a Athlon 64 3400+) and my case temperature is -way- down. Down about 18C. (I keep the side of my case on, and use only stock HSF combo so.. there you go)

:) If you want pics or any benchies, I can do that too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks