What's new

Looking at the InFocus X1, but what about the 4805?? (1 Viewer)

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
funny thing about rainbows. I just got a Optoma Ezpro 735 DLP XGA Business projector as my old Boxlight LCD XGA business projector was great but blacks lacked. so I tried this new one. good quality and sharp image but blacks were not as back as people say on DLP(prob due to the business class and lumens for such) and it had a green tinit to the supposed blacks. back it goes and im trying the X1.

but back to rainbows. I did not see them, even after hours of watching I did not see them. but a funny thing happened. when I went to turn on the lamp next to me (it has a plastic gold mirror coating on one of the lamp parts) I saw the projector image mirrored in it for a minute and totally seen the rainbow but it didnt go away. really weird but cool. it was not just a flash the reflected image in the mirrored gold plastic on the lamp showed as permanent rainbow. looked at the screen and nothing. very cool strange and odd!!!!! atleast I cant see them watching the screen must be something with the reflection making a effect. strange indeed!

anyway I said I would never buy a 800x600 projector but after this new DLP XGA businees performed I guess they are out now. its funny cause other than blacks my 6 year old XGA lcd was great!!!!! I will say the new one had a sharp image but what was with the green tint over the blacks ?

thought of the BenQ PB6200 but its not a HT projector either, has some issues and no connections(the optoma had DVI)didnt want to PB6100 as its a business projector too, really. the X1 atleast has DCDI.I think unless you buy a projector meant for HT I wont be satisfied. do the waiting game as prices come down and better units come out. until then based on all you guys raving I will try out the 800x600 X1. I got $425 for my old 6 year LCD and only paid $150 for it so this is a free jump after selling other things on ebay for profits. guess I cant really go wrong If I want to try new technology.

I was willing to spend $1500 and know if I went LCD I could get something decent but no blacks and I have a dust problem in my cellar which showed dust blobs on my old LCD. dont want to deal with that. forced hot air and A/c is bad for LCD projectors. spending $1500 on a DLP I read review after review and most of them had issues and after trying the Optoma I will pass on the BenQ for that price. I just dont think the processing on those units considering they are really business projectors even with the contrast ratio specs(reliable ? dont know) I learned HT projectors are my next pick after im tired of the X1. hopefully by then they will have got better and come down. $1000 for an XGA DLP and made for HT wont be far away if infocus can do this with the X1 for under $1000.... someday it will happen and be decent enough for us on a budget.

rainbows dont bother me so im just hoping I dont see much screen door from 14ft away with the X1.

Joe Zemaitis

Stunt Coordinator
By the way... I bought my X1.. Got a few headaches from the start, but after a couple days they were totally gone. I love it! I see rainbows on occassion but not enough to ever worry about.

Joe

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
Ralph, the only time I saw the X1 was at a concert where someone was projecting it onto the drummer and the black wall behind him. I continually saw a weird rainbow flash off of the drum kit, but none on the picture. (Which was surprisingly good for projection onto a black wall.)

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
ok :) its not just me then. never heard anyone say that before so I thought it ws just me.

funny someone else has experienced it too. lol

thats exactly what I seen what you described too.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
maybe you guys can help me, dont want to heist the thread but.

I ordered the X1. maybe im confusing myself and been a while since I looked into the specs of setup. using projectorcentrals calcuator and infocuses specs I cany figure out if this unit will work for me. I had an XGA projector and had no problems with fitting an image from 12ft away on my 4:3 67.5 inch wide screen. looking at the zoom ratio im confused. considering my screen size is 12ft to far away to fit the image on my screen correectly? its not comming out correctly. is there enough play with the zoom lens to adjust the screen size to fit the image I need from that far away on my 67.5 width screen ? am I confusing myself ? :)

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
Don't worry about hijacking the thread - anything that will keep us from speculating about the 4805 for a few minutes is appreciated.

I think you should be fine. The calculator says that from 12 feet you should be able to do a 4:3 screen anywhere between 63.4" and 76.2" wide.

(Or, conversely, you can get your 67.5" width by placing the projector anywhere between 10.6 and 12.8 feet back from the screen.)

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
well when I first got into FP I had no problems and figured everything out. now im having a brain fart no matter what I read or calculate and cant come up with a straight figure.

didnt see that. that is good. with my XGA I was able to get a 85" (i believe) for 4:3 and 16:9 74" image. on the same screen perfect from border to border. but with the X1 im having a problem. the ration of the zoom lens is different and I cant find anywhere the range I have. you say 63-76, so thats close and shows I have some play with the zoom but I heard it was somewhat limited. but from what you say eases my frustration and thanks. didnt see that figure anywhere.

I dont have anywhere to place my projector(ceiling but where it is on that joist. in front of it is a large flouresent light and in back is the stairs. so its the only place to mount it. looks like I should be ok as long as I have some play with the zoom. I think I got some close #'s but you confirmed with that range. Thanks!

I hope i ot disappointed with the X1 caue its staying no matter what. lol :)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Speaking of the Infocus 4805, according to a thread I've been following over at AVSCIENCE, it could be July before it's available in quantity.

This is extremely odd, since in their initial press release they indicated that it would be available in the "First Quarter of 2004".

It looks as though Infocus has suddenly adopted the "Universal/Amblin" press release syndrome! (Duel was once announced in a joint press release between these two companies as coming to DVD in the "Fall of 1998"!!!)

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry

Keep in mind that's pure speculation. Release anytime in April, May, or June still counts as Second Quarter (Which is when the press release said it will be out, not First Quarter.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks