Looking at speaker upgrades....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ethan Stansbury, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Ethan Stansbury

Ethan Stansbury Auditioning

Hey home theater friends! This is my first post here, so I say thank you for a great forum, and hopefully i will get as much help from the experts as other people have! [​IMG]
    Anyway, my friend is looking at upgrading his speakers. He is interested in the Klipsch Reference Series, but is open for suggestions. He has been offered the RF-3 II package (Fronts, center, surrounds) for $1275. This seems like a good deal, does anyone know of a less expensive price. Also, for around that price range, does anyone have any other suggestions that we might look at. If you take a look at the specs of the Klipsch they are incredable speakers. http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=457 What do all of you think?
    Enough about him, we'll talk about what I have.
    TV ~ Sony Wega 32" (love that flat screen, and 1200 lines of resolution...sweet!!)
    Receiver ~ Sony STR-DE845 (The 945 wasn't in stock when I went to buy. I'm very impulse and couldn't wait [​IMG] , took the 845 instead...)
    DVD Player ~ Sony DVP-S530D (Had a 5.1 ready receiver before the 845...)
    Speakers ~ Mirage AVS-100 package (Small but oh so loud and clear, and voice matched of course!!) And the Mirage PS-8 for my sub (Mosfet powered amp, oh yeah!)
    CD ~ Sony CDP-CX300 (I burn a lot of cd's [​IMG] )
    Alright, so know you know all about the home theater aspect of my life... Give me a shout if you have any questions or comments! And thanks for the help!
    ~Ethan

2. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

After just receiving Axiom speakers for about $900 I'd recommend he check those out...www.axiomaudio.com and www.audioshop.on.ca (online vendor who carries Axiom).
    I have a pair of Axiom M50Ti's, a VP100 and a pair of M3Ti's for rears and I am very, very pleased.
    For that price range he could upgrade a bit to the M60's or perhaps the M22's in place of the M3's.

3. Ethan Stansbury

Anyone have any suggestions...???

4. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    I used to have Paradigm Refence speakers. Studio 100's,CC,ADP's,Active 20's and when I upgraded the best I heard was Von Schweikert Audios new HT line.They are astounding.

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I just set up my friend's home theater with the following setup:

Ascend Acoustics

CBM-170 (x3)

HTM-200 (x2)

Hsu VTF-2

Total: ~$1200

For a relatively small amount of money, he got an amazing setup, and arguably the best sub under $500. The system is amazing. IMO, there are lots of good speakers in the $700-$800 for 5 range, but there are only a handful of subs in the $500 range that perform like the Hsu. Further, the sub's performance will be immediately noticeable once you pop in a DVD, so I would make sure to get one of the good ones.

Like Hsu, SVS, Adire, etc.

Good luck!

6. Ethan Stansbury

Did I forget to metion the sub is covered. He is looking to spend around 1300 for the fronts, center, and surrounds.

7. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest going and listening to different brands. Remember that the Klipsch's are horn loaded highs and aluminum drivers, which can be a bit "bright" for some people's tastes. I have a Klipsch Reference 3 series setup and I like it, but some folks prefer a "softer" sound. BTW, the RC3 center is a great center for dialog, one of the best that I have heard, especially in the price range.

8. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

For $1300 you can get some pretty nice speakers, that in my mind at least will blow the klipsh's away. Paradigm, PSB, B&W, NHT, the list goes on. Most all the major manufacturers and most of the non major ones have very nice speakers in your price range. Take a little trip around town to the different stereo shops and have a listen.

Nick L

9. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Add in Def Tech onto that list. If he has no problem ordering factory direct, look at ACI, nOrh, Axiom, Swan Diva, and AV Reality.
    Personally I would go with nOrh SM 6.9 fronts ($995), wood 5.1 center ($225 - Christmas special), and 3.0 rears ($150). That will run you $1,370 delivered. Of course, you should be able to get a SM 6.1 package with ceramic 4.0 center and surrounds for around $1,100.
    Good luck!

10. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Dan_Jones,

So, you received the Axioms? What was the final verdict...was I right about you thoroughly enjoying them?

Regards,

Ron