What's new

Looking at speaker upgrades.... (1 Viewer)

Ethan Stansbury

Auditioning
Hey home theater friends! This is my first post here, so I say thank you for a great forum, and hopefully i will get as much help from the experts as other people have! ;)
Anyway, my friend is looking at upgrading his speakers. He is interested in the Klipsch Reference Series, but is open for suggestions. He has been offered the RF-3 II package (Fronts, center, surrounds) for $1275. This seems like a good deal, does anyone know of a less expensive price. Also, for around that price range, does anyone have any other suggestions that we might look at. If you take a look at the specs of the Klipsch they are incredable speakers. http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=457 What do all of you think?
Enough about him, we'll talk about what I have.
TV ~ Sony Wega 32" (love that flat screen, and 1200 lines of resolution...sweet!!)
Receiver ~ Sony STR-DE845 (The 945 wasn't in stock when I went to buy. I'm very impulse and couldn't wait :frowning: , took the 845 instead...)
DVD Player ~ Sony DVP-S530D (Had a 5.1 ready receiver before the 845...)
Speakers ~ Mirage AVS-100 package (Small but oh so loud and clear, and voice matched of course!!) And the Mirage PS-8 for my sub (Mosfet powered amp, oh yeah!)
CD ~ Sony CDP-CX300 (I burn a lot of cd's :D )
Alright, so know you know all about the home theater aspect of my life... Give me a shout if you have any questions or comments! And thanks for the help!
~Ethan

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
After just receiving Axiom speakers for about $900 I'd recommend he check those out...www.axiomaudio.com and www.audioshop.on.ca (online vendor who carries Axiom).
I have a pair of Axiom M50Ti's, a VP100 and a pair of M3Ti's for rears and I am very, very pleased.
For that price range he could upgrade a bit to the M60's or perhaps the M22's in place of the M3's.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I used to have Paradigm Refence speakers. Studio 100's,CC,ADP's,Active 20's and when I upgraded the best I heard was Von Schweikert Audios new HT line.They are astounding.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I just set up my friend's home theater with the following setup:

Ascend Acoustics

CBM-170 (x3)

HTM-200 (x2)

Hsu VTF-2

Total: ~$1200

For a relatively small amount of money, he got an amazing setup, and arguably the best sub under $500. The system is amazing. IMO, there are lots of good speakers in the $700-$800 for 5 range, but there are only a handful of subs in the $500 range that perform like the Hsu. Further, the sub's performance will be immediately noticeable once you pop in a DVD, so I would make sure to get one of the good ones.

Like Hsu, SVS, Adire, etc.

Good luck!

Bob Christensen

Stunt Coordinator
I would suggest going and listening to different brands. Remember that the Klipsch's are horn loaded highs and aluminum drivers, which can be a bit "bright" for some people's tastes. I have a Klipsch Reference 3 series setup and I like it, but some folks prefer a "softer" sound. BTW, the RC3 center is a great center for dialog, one of the best that I have heard, especially in the price range.

Nick L

Second Unit
For $1300 you can get some pretty nice speakers, that in my mind at least will blow the klipsh's away. Paradigm, PSB, B&W, NHT, the list goes on. Most all the major manufacturers and most of the non major ones have very nice speakers in your price range. Take a little trip around town to the different stereo shops and have a listen.

Nick L

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Add in Def Tech onto that list. If he has no problem ordering factory direct, look at ACI, nOrh, Axiom, Swan Diva, and AV Reality.
Personally I would go with nOrh SM 6.9 fronts ($995), wood 5.1 center ($225 - Christmas special), and 3.0 rears ($150). That will run you $1,370 delivered. Of course, you should be able to get a SM 6.1 package with ceramic 4.0 center and surrounds for around $1,100.
Good luck!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Dan_Jones,

So, you received the Axioms? What was the final verdict...was I right about you thoroughly enjoying them?

Regards,

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks