What's new

Looking at Receivers - here is a comparison chart (1 Viewer)

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
ChrisWiggles: In my experience, no receivers with PLII have the "original" option. My harman/kardon AVR 320 doesn't. After hearing the difference between my old AVR 20 and the new 320, I can't image anyone wanting to use "original" PL anyway!

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
WanMan:

I agree. There is a magazine that has tested the euro version of the 45. But, I can't get the article. I tried to get the guy to scan it and send it but no reply. Its on this forum. I think hometheaterchoice.

Mike

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
"Bandwidth requirements for switching:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/bandwid.htm
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NTSC Broadcast and VHS: 4.2 MHz
Laser Disk: 5.3 MHz
Regular NTSC DVD: 7 (6.8) MHz
Progressive Scan NTSC DVD and 480p DTV: 13.5 MHz
1080i HDTV: 37 MHz; in practice with 22 MHz the picture is still very superb.
720p HDTV; 37 MHz. "
While a component bandwidth of 30MHZ or less will pass HDTV, you will lose detail, or the audio equivalent of a roll-off of the "high-end".
A Denon rep has admitted this on the "other" forum, and I feel that anything under, say, 32 Mhz should not be listed as being true HD compatible...

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I'm back.
three channels said:
My table came from the Sound & Vision article, then corrections are added in as people point them out. My guess is there is a press-release/some other brochure that lists the Pioneer units as 90 instead of 100 wpc.
Look guys, the table is a simple comparison of reported features. The first thing we usually ask a person shopping is: "What is your budget?" Eventually we get to how much $$$ they should spend on the receiver. The table is just a simple way to scan down by price and see what features they get/miss for the given ammount of money.
In this spirit, I'm going to say the Outlaw unit is EX since it really does support a rear-center speaker.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Bob, thanks for the clarification. I do appreciate it and the compilation you have done. Good job!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
While a component bandwidth of 30MHZ or less will pass HDTV, you will lose detail, or the audio equivalent of a roll-off of the "high-end".
Well.... lets talk about this.

As the frequency gets higher, there IS some roll-off of the higher frequencies compared to the lower ones. You cannot get away from this. The question is: how much it tolerable?

For cables, the rule is to roll out 100 feet of coax and shove higher and higher frequencies until you get a 15 db reduction at the end. This becomes the "limit"/highest frequency you should use that cable for.

The other rule: always specify a cable that can handle 2 to 4 times the maximum frequency you expect to shove down it.

In other words, if the highest possible frequency I expect to handle is 35 Mhz, then I would want a coax that at 100 feet reduces a 70 Mhz signal by no more than 15 db.

Do these conventions apply to the video switching feature of a receiver? And do all the manufacturers follow the same conventions? (Think of all the variables there are in simply reporting watts per channel.)

What we need is another "Secrets of Home Theater" report on video switching with actual measurments.

Mauricio_BR

Agent
Bob,

I don´t really know how difficult would be to gather this info, but I think it would be nice to have a box with the REAL rms power per channel for each receiver.

What do you think ?

Mauricio

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The Outlaw [1050] does NOT have the offically licenced DolbyEX rear channel. It's a 6.1 system doing the ProLogic decoding, but I remember it came out before the EX was officially released. Therefore it does not claim Dolby/DTS EX capability.
But the proprietary chip does decode DolbyDigital-6.1, and can also derives a 6.1 channel from a DD-5.1 source. If someone wants to know "will this receiver decode DD-6.1 and convert DD-5.1 to 6.1?", then the answer is "yes". :emoji_thumbsup:
It will not, however, decode DTS-EX. :frowning:
Another helpful column might indicate the degree of control and flexibility in bass management. Something like "selectable, discrete crossovers at 60, 80, 120Hz or bypass" or "single defeatable crossover at 80Hz", etc.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Lewis, one can set the back DD-6.1 speaker (or "7.1" speakers) for small on the 1050, but it won't decode DTS-ES.

In my experience, no receivers with PLII have the "original" option. My harman/kardon AVR 320 doesn't. After hearing the difference between my old AVR 20 and the new 320, I can't image anyone wanting to use "original" PL anyway!
Can anyone clarify this? An earlier post said that all DPLII receivers can also do DPL. I've never heard either in a home theater environment, but I would think that the purist thing to do for 2.0 surround sources would be to use DPL for playback. DPLII may sound more impressive, but it's not the way it was intended to be heard. If current DPLII receivers can't do DPL, I'd think there would have been some sort of complaints about that. And this can't be a hard question -- anyone?

David Albrecht

Stunt Coordinator
But, bass management aside, if your receiver doesn't allow an analog signal to completely bypass it's internal circuitry (no analog to digital conversion), then you will not hear the benefits of high-resolution sound. Period. This is, in my opinion, a crucial feature of any receiver (unless one is simply not interested in hi-rez sound).
I'm not really 'technically knowledgeable' about these kinds of things, but I'm looking at buying a receiver right now... and SACD and DVD-A is important to me.
I was kind of leaning towards the Denon AVR-1803 (fits my budget)... so how could I find out if it allows the analog signal to bypass the internal circuitry? Is there a certain way that kind of thing is phrased in the specs? Heres a link to Denons Recievers if that helps...
http://www.denon.ca/haline/hapro01.html
Maybe I should be looking into a different reciever? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks ~ David

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
George:
About the Pro-Logic II and ProLogic presentations, I said that all receivers that have PL II also have a PL I option. However, I am not 100% sure about this. Perhaps someone could chime in with a definitive answer. I did however do a little bit of searching on the HK receivers that the other fellow mentioned:
Well, my experience shows that every one DOES have a Pro-Logic I emulation, for those who prefer it. And yes, I would agree that nobody would really want to use the PL-I option, but it IS still there. I checked out the manual on the newer HK 325, and it has PLII: movie/music/emulation. The emulation is the PL-I option. Then I found the manual on the AVR 320, and it has the same options. A variety of receivers I've looked at have this, so I would assume it to be standard. I briefly tried to find some info on dolby's website, but to no avail. I WOULD assume, though that they would make it backward compatible. So perhaps someone could find a definite answer, either like 100% have PL-I emulation, or some exceptions?
That quote was a response to me, so no, I am not disagreeing with myself :)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
David, it appears that the 1803 does have 6-channel "analog bypass" inputs. Open the owners manuel pdf from the link you posted and check pages 14 and 35. While it doesn't go into explicit detail, it does suggest that these are the appropriate inputs for DVD-A or SACD signals and states that these signals are "output directly...without passing through the surround circuitry". You may wish to confirm with someone who has this receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks