What's new

Looking at New TV's. Samsung EDTV, is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

StephenWE

Agent
I was looking at getting a new TV for my bedroom. I was trying for two things, a 27" flatscreen, and a $300 price tag. I had narrowed my choices down to either a Sony or a Toshiba. They were a little high, the Toshiba going for $350, and the Sony going for $400, but I figured I could just wait for a sale and get it that way. However, I was looking on Circuit City's website and they have the 27" Samsung for $299. I know the difference between EDTV and HDTV, so I'm not that ignorant, but some of the reviews said the picture wasn't that great, and neither was the sound. I'll have a HTiB to run the sound through, so that isn't an issue either. I'm just curious if anyone here has had any experience with that particular TV or Samsung in general. Do they have good product quality? Feel free to suggest other TV's in that price range if you feel it would be better.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I'll tell you, a EDTV tube has 480 lines (I hope I'm right!) and watching a widescreem movie cuts your screen almost in half, you are left with ~240 lines! Not good. It sucks.

OTOH, if you can get a deal on a 26 or 30" widescreen HD, you will have 1080 lines to work with, and even with slight black bars, you will still have over 800 lines of resolution.

Watching 5th Element Superbit on a 27" non-HD TV is pretty lame, even with good sound.

Users who are viewing this thread