Looking at new TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I'm looking at getting a new T.V for use with my HT set-up. I'm heavily looking at a Sony Wega. Unfortunately for my setup (since I don't have the space)the TV has to be 20 inches, no more and no less[​IMG] . Right now I am very interested in the Sony Wega KV20FV300
    The purpose of buying this TV would be to upgrade my current Sony Trinitron and take advantage of the component input that this Wega has. However I do have a couple questions about the Wegas and flat screens in general. My current dVD player is a Tosh 2150 which has the highly regarded component video port on it, if I was to buy this TV would I notice a considerable difference in picture quality by using the component video (right now I'm using composite,)also with this new TV is it possible that digital artifacts like Edge Enhancement are going to show up more easily (right now I don't really see very many artifacts.)? Also is Cable going to look worse or better on this TV? because on my current Tv cable looks awful (of course cable looks awful naturally[​IMG] ) thanks.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Keith:

You will notice a substantial improvement in picture quality with either S-video or component-video connections, even on a 20-inch set.

Will you see more evidence of edge enhancement and other artifacting? Largely, DVD authorers crank up the edge enhancement to make the images look better on small-screen sets (which is what most people have). Generally, it's not that noticeable on a small set. But when you reach the 27-inch level, it will become much more apparent.

You'll do fine with the little WEGA.

JB

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

If your current Sony has an S-video input, you won't see much if any improvement with component video on a set that small. If you only have composite (single yellow color coded RCA pin connector for video) you will see a noticeable improvement.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    As Jack said, you WILL notice an improvement just stepping up to S-video, even on a 20" set. Going from S-vid to Component is not quite as noticable, as it is mostly an improvement in color quality not image quality.