What's new

Looking at new receivers w/ at least 2 HDMI inputs (1 Viewer)

Got Sony?

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy Jones
I am leaning towards this model: Sony STR-DG1000. This is my first post so I could not post a link. I have an older Sony 5.1 that sounds great but I need the HDMI inputs for my PS3 and HD DVR. Any comments would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
In that price-range i'd strongly consider the Onkyo SR605. It's HDMI 1.3 which will allow the receiver to decode next-gen (DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD) audio from the PS3 (once enabled in the PS3 firmware) and very solid in both amplification and processing.

Sony's non-ES line of receivers is not very highly regarded here or in most other audio forums. They are usually low on actual power and often times have features that do not work as advertised (the video scaling of the DG1000, for example, is very poor). Unless you're looking in the ES line (and I'd even tread lightly there these days) I'd stay away from Sony. There are several options that should work well for you from Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer Elite, Harman Kardon, and Yamaha.

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I own an STR-DG1000 and am very happy with it. You will not be displeased if that's your choice. That said, I would steer clear of Sony's latest AVRs (STR-DGx10 series) because in my opinion they light weight in all senses of the phrase - features, heft, build quality, etc.

In the price range that's implied, the Onkyo SR605 is getting a lot of attention. It's just starting to get into the hands of anxious users - from what I've read, literally today. Although it's clearly from a reputable OEM that produces fine products, it's an unknown at this point although that should change quickly. As for HDMI 1.3, this is an interesting discussion you may want to consider: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789994

Another AVR you should consider that's also in the implied price range is the Yamaha RX-V661. It's one of a few existing AVRs that's deemed to be in the top category of "future proof" (see here for an explanation: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=738511)

Got Sony?

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy Jones
Great info,thanks for the replies, HDMI 1.3 will be in my studies for this weekend !

Peter Loan

Second Unit
You can get lossless audio, TrueHD, and DD+ with basically any receiver with HDMI 1.1a and up. There are a few that will only do video switching without passing lossless audio. There is no need to get HDMI 1.3 for that since all of the decoding happens on the player side.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks