looking at moving from 2000 to XP is it worth the $

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by brentl, Mar 23, 2002.

1. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Real easy, I have Windows 2000 sitting on my desk right now. My freind moved BACK to Win98SE and I bought his 2000 disc for $20,

I can buy XP for just over $100 but should I??

Both based on NT right??

Thanks

Brent

2. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

Unless you have some software that will not run on 2000 I would stick with what you have.

XP is a bit more compatible with software but other than that there is really no advantage with getting XP - especially if 2000 is working well for you.

And yes, XP is based on NT just like 2000 is. XP is the merging of the Windows 9x, ME lines with the NT line into one kernal. The same kernal as 2000.

3. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

XP is Microsoft's move to make an NT based kernel the standard for all home users.

There was a point when this was unheard of, but at that time running NT at home was also unheard of becuase of incompatibility. With Windows 2000 and XP home users can appreciate stability.

At current time of writing my XP machine has been up for 25 days!

Jon

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

What spec machine do you have?

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Sorry about the delay Rob

I'm running a Duron 750(looking at going to a 1.2 athlon soon), 512 meg ram, 64 meg GF2-MX vid card(Visontek)

Will I have worries about getting drivers for easy CD and the such?? I looked and I need to get CD creater 5 for Xp as my creater 3 won't work.

Brent L

6. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

To upgrade to XP you should really have a reason. Even if that reason is just to experiment with XP and learn a few things. It does run games much faster than 2k and some built in features that are nice, but is very similar to 2k. Another thing worth mentioning is that XP home and XP pro are very different. If you are happy with your 2k pro then I would not advise upgrading to XP home you would not be happy.

7. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Also remember that 98ME does not scale well at all. Meaning, if you have 64 MB RAM and you upgrade to 256 MB, you wont see much of a difference at all. Not true with NT2KXP... it scales very well.

My advice though is to stick with 2000... the best OS Microsoft has ever put out.

8. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

the worst thing about XP is the new interface, it plain sucks. however, you can easily revert back to the win2k look (which is what i did, immediately).

the best thing is the compatibility with older programs, i had some things i needed to be able to run that appear to be from win3.1 (dont really know how old the software it is) so i got xp as soon as i could. its also been nice to be able to run some old games (like the older ultima games, i love those)

and as someone already said. go straight to winXPpro, do not pass go, do not touch winXPhome.

that having been said, if it was going to cost me 100 bucks to get XP (and thats just XPhome right?) theres no way i would have left 2k.