Looking at Jenson SPX-9's...any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by BrettisMckinney, May 31, 2004.

1. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

I've been hunting for some mid priced mains for my HT around the $1000(aus) I was first looking at Wharfedales xarus 5000 then i saw some Jensens. On a quick compare the Jensens were soo much brighter and clear in the mid and highs, and the wharfies sounded really muddy. The Wharfes have a 8" woofer in it tho where as the Jensens only have 4 5"(2 way). I do have a sub so i guess its not too important to have the bass like in the wharfes.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with Jensen or could recommend some good mains around that price.
    Thanks

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Jensen makes garbage over here in the states but it might be different where you are.

3. BrettisMckinney

Yeah? I think all Jensen are made in the USA...im in australia. So you obviously wouldnt recommend them then hey.

4. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

Hi Brettis...

The distributors in Oz areBD Imports

From what I can gather they assemble the products, sourced out of China.

Not sure on quality, you should try before you buy anyway.

5. david_shy

david_shy Agent

I'd be wary of any company that offered a 10 year unconditional warranty on a pair of speakers.

I notice, too, that they only sell via large discount retailers, so I would suspect they are a speaker with a high profit-margin

But it's all in the listening, and if you think you could listen to them for long sessions, and they are good value, then go for it!

For around the same price there are a few local australian manufacturers that would (I think) produce a vastly superior product (Richter, Aaron, Whatmough etc) - check them before putting money down

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think it's a good idea to explore speakers made in your own country. It's good for the local economy and besides Australia is no slouch when it comes to competent companies that design intelligent products. For example, VAF Research which started out small, met with success, took the profits and pumped it into serious R&D, is worth considering. Prices are likely higher than your target but the used market is always worth exploring. Other thoughts would be to find some local audio clubs in your area as members might be able to provide additional insight and sources.
    I don't have any Australian speakers but I do my bit to support long standing allies and friends by purchasing your wines [​IMG]
    Krix, Orpheus, and Osborne also come to mind and are local.

7. BrettisMckinney

Yeah, thanks for the input guys. I guess i might keep testing some systems out. I've never really heard many good tower speakers so on first listen i was wowed. So you can see why i would be pumped..sounded good, $1000, 10 year warranty..hard to say no. But yeah, i guess there is ALOT out there hey.
    Since i have a sub..is it wise to look at speakers without the woofer in them? To me it makes sense to have some speakers that perform really well in the highs and mid and also have a good punchy bass and then let the sub do the rest.

8. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I'd rather have better monitors than mediocre towers. Agreed.